My First (Near) Cake Disaster (Long)

Decorating By cakesbymark Updated 29 May 2010 , 1:49pm by tarheelgirl

cakesbymark Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:56am
post #1 of 4

Ok so i have a inlaw cookout tomorrow (Sat) for the memorial day weekend activites, and of course was the one to bring dessert..

So i decided i was going to try a few new things that i havent done before

i was going to make an ice cream cake and do a fbct on top. 2 things i've never done before, now i make really good ice cream pies but never did a cake i bake a 10" chocolate fudge chocolate chip cake on thursday and i also spread my softened chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream in another 10" wax paper lined pan and refreeze..

So i get home this afternoon from work and decide on doing an american flag fbct and throw that in the freezer, about 45mins later i tort my cake
and make a cookies and cream mousse that is going between the icecream layer....
so i have my cake base on my board with a nice layer of cookies and cream mousse on top, i pull out my ice cream out of the pan and its solid and i'm happy at this point and i'm working fast as its 80 and humid out... so i get the icecream stacked and i layer and cookies and cream on top and cover with top part of my cake, then i ice the cake with a whipped cream icing ,put the fbct on the top and wrap and box the cake up and throw it into the freezer
3 hours later i pull it out so i can finish it off with boarders and sprinkles
i open up the box and all the icecream pretty much melted out and all over the cake and box???????????WTH!!!!!!
needless to say i was able to to pull the cakes apart and remove all the ice cream(thanks to the c&c layers) make another batch of C&C filling and restack the cake was saved its just not an ice cream cake anymore

3 replies
emiyeric Posted 29 May 2010 , 4:12am
post #2 of 4

Nice save!! I don't have the guts to do an ice cream cake! icon_smile.gif

cakesbymark Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 4

thank you, mad thats its not an ice cream cake but it will still be good.

tarheelgirl Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 4

I agree.. nice save! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%