When To Put Ribbon On?

Decorating By KTB4 Updated 29 May 2010 , 2:46pm by mamawrobin

KTB4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KTB4 Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 18

I'm making a 3 tier cake covered in buttercream with a fondant "ribbon" along the bottom. I really don't want to have to pipe a border after I stack them so I'm wondering if I should put the ribbon on after I stack to hide the boards? Am I flirting with disaster?

Also, am I crazy to wait to stack tomorrow? It's not being picked up until 3ish tomorrow afternoon. (Yes it is travelling stacked but it was unavoidable so pray for me) I'm thinking of waiting to stack it tomorrow around lunch time so that it isn't stacked overnight. Or shoudl I stack tonight so if I have a disaster I still have time to fix it?

icon_confused.gif

17 replies
cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 18

I would stack, then add the ribbon if you want that clean look w/o piping. Re. stacking tonight or tomorrow, I always get impatient at that point to see how it looks all done, so I would likely stack. icon_lol.gif But that's just me! Maybe some of the pros can give you a good reason for or against. Good luck!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 18

As far as stacking the cake you can do it either way. I usually have mine completely assembled the day/night before it's due. That way if there is a problem I have time to fix it without being rushed.

Yes you put the ribbon on AFTER you stack the cake and have it fully assembled. Have you stacked a cake before or is this your first? What kind of support system did you use?

KTB4 Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 18

Thanks cakecraft. I know I'll be impatient tonight too icon_biggrin.gif However I have a bunch of cupcakes to do for my son's bake sale tomorrow so have plenty of other stuff to get done as well lol

I think I'm just afraid that the cake will topple. It's the first stacked cake I've done for someone else eek!!

mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB4

Thanks cakecraft. I know I'll be impatient tonight too icon_biggrin.gif However I have a bunch of cupcakes to do for my son's bake sale tomorrow so have plenty of other stuff to get done as well lol

I think I'm just afraid that the cake will topple. It's the first stacked cake I've done for someone else eek!!

I'll ask again icon_smile.gif What kind of support system did you use? I'm asking since the cake is being picked up and is three tiers.

KTB4 Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 18

Sorry mamwrobin - not ignoring you we just posted at about the same time icon_biggrin.gif

I have stacked a couple of cakes before and I'm currently just using bubble tea straws and dowels. I have yet to be able to get my hands on SPS or anything like it icon_sad.gif

Any tips? icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 18

I would also use the center dowel so that your cake doesn't slip during transportation. I use the wooden bbq skewers. They already have a sharpened end and they're skinnier than the wooden dowels for caking. I also use straws and cardboard cake circles. I prefer straws because they "fill up" with cake where dowels "displace" cake. I know that alot of people use dowels w/o any problems but I'm more comfortable using straws.

What are your tiers resting on? Cardboard cake circles? Plates? The reason I'm asking is that unless it's cardboard it's not possible to get that center dowel in to "nail" your cake to the base to prevent slipping.

KTB4 Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:49pm
post #8 of 18

Oh yes I will definitely centre dowel, especially since it has to travel stacked icon_sad.gif However, if you wait until the last minute to beg me to do a cake I guess you take your chances.

And yep, cakes are on cardboard cake circles. I also prefer straws for the same reasons you do. It's a 10,8,6 - how many straws shoudl I use? I'm thinking at least 6?

mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:02am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB4

I'm making a 3 tier cake covered in buttercream with a fondant "ribbon" along the bottom. I really don't want to have to pipe a border after I stack them so I'm wondering if I should put the ribbon on after I stack to hide the boards? Am I flirting with disaster?

Also, am I crazy to wait to stack tomorrow? It's not being picked up until 3ish tomorrow afternoon. (Yes it is travelling stacked but it was unavoidable so pray for me) I'm thinking of waiting to stack it tomorrow around lunch time so that it isn't stacked overnight. Or shoudl I stack tonight so if I have a disaster I still have time to fix it?

icon_confused.gif

I'd use 7 in the bottom (one for the center) and 5 in the 8 inch (1 for center as well) I know that alot of people use more than that but I don't. That has always worked for me. The more holes you poke in your cake the less stable it is.

If it were me I'd stack tonight or first thing in the morning. That way if something is not level or if there is another problem you have ample time to fix it. I usually stack the night before but that's just me. You should do what works best for you. thumbs_up.gif Good luck and be sure to post pictures.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:02am
post #10 of 18

I agree with all the advice given so far, I just wanted to add that I (and I believe many others) usually add a circle or two of royal icing around the top of the teir being stacked on to sort of give it a glue to bond it. I rarely, if ever, drive a center dowel. Hope that doesn't come back to haunt me someday (knock on wood). I also try to stack and finish decorating the morning of the occasion. I don't like the stacked weight sitting on the support longer than it needs to, especially overnight. Just my habits icon_smile.gif

KTB4 Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:05am
post #11 of 18

Thanks and I will post pics icon_smile.gif

One more question if you come back to this - Should I dowel the top tier since I'm putting a fondant loopy bow on it? I just thought about that.

mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:18am
post #12 of 18

NO. You don't need to "dowel" the top tier for a loopy bow thumbs_up.gif

I never use royal to "glue" the cake in place. Actually I cut a piece of wax paper the same size as the cake to put between the cake and the tier that it sits on so that when I take it apart for cutting it DOESN'T stick and pull of icing off the tier that it's sitting on. I use the center dowel. Edna (tonedna) has a great tutorial on youtube "How to Stack A Cake...my way icon_smile.gif that I suggest that you watch. It was a great help to me when I first started stacking cakes. thumbs_up.gif

If your cake is stacked properly stacked weight doesn't have a time limit. The blue and white cake in my photos (also 10/8/6) had been stacked for 2 days when that picture was taken. The yellow and red cake (also 10/8/6) had been stacked for 5 days when that picture was taken and is STILL stacked and hasn't budged. Before you ask, no we're NOT planning on eating the yellow cake icon_lol.gif . Party was cancelled, I sprayed it with sealant and kept it for a display.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:25am
post #13 of 18

Exactly, which is why I said "just MY habits"

I'm not a pro, nor claim to be. I've seen pro's do it, which is where I got the idea. Cakeboss' Buddy glues cakes.

And I figure I dowel them properly since I haven't had any fall (without a center dowel), but still, the lower the cakes center of gravity, the less chance you have of something going wrong... hence why I wait. So Murphey's Law doesn't kick in.

Again... not trying to give you a lesson... just trying to share ideas and tips.

KTB4 Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:30am
post #14 of 18

I appreciate all the advice icon_smile.gif I love how we all do things slightly differently and learn from each other,not that I've done much teaching since I'm new here LOL

mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:33am
post #15 of 18

Darthburn..I totally agree with you. Like I said in a previous post that she should do "what works for her". I wasn't saying you were wrong. I use to have the same fear about stacking a cake too soon. I was just saying that I've actually been suprised that they will (or can) hold up as long as they do.

Honestly, just last month I started putting that center dowel in because I was always afraid that I would destroy my cake trying to "nail" it in. icon_lol.gif So.... I totally understand where you're coming from.

BTW..the cake that you posted earlier looked great. thumbs_up.gif

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 29 May 2010 , 9:09am
post #16 of 18

I'd use 7 in the bottom (one for the center) and 5 in the 8 inch (1 for center as well)

So when you finish stacking and add your center dowel, doesn't it hit and displace the center straws in your first and second layers?

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 29 May 2010 , 9:58am
post #17 of 18

thats exactly what I was thinking ren715

mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:46pm
post #18 of 18

I've never had that problem. Probably because I use a wooden skewer (no dowel) that easily fits inside of the center straw or goes down beside it w/o any problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%