Edible Image On Chocolate Frosting

Decorating By thecakemaker Updated 21 Mar 2014 , 2:59am by icingimages

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 17

I have two graduation cakes for tomorrow. One on white buttercream and one of chocolate buttercream. I've seen lots of cakes on CC that have edible images on chocolate buttercream but i've never tried it myself. Has anyone had trouble with using one on chocolate buttercream?

Thanks!

16 replies
psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 17

edible images don't work that well on dark colors. I would suggest you put the image on a thin piece of fondant then onto the cake.

thecakemaker Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:46am
post #3 of 17

That's what I was afraid of. I read the description on the ones I saw in the gallery and they didn't seem to be on fondant - I was hoping I could get away without it.

luv_to_decorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv_to_decorate Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:10am
post #4 of 17

The edible image usually absorbs the color of the buttercream it is laid on. I agree that you probably need a thin sheet of fondant or something to keep the color from bleeding into the image. I made a picture of a group of friends and put it on blue icing (beach cake so blue for the water). The longer it sat on the cake the more blue the picture got. We looked like smurfs. LOL

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:27am
post #5 of 17

I definitely do a thin layer of fondant (sometimes not so thin) on anything other than white icing. On rare occasion if I don't have fondant made (sort of last minute order, for example) I will simply spread a layer of white buttercream where the image will be. I have done that a few times.

I have seen that they now make chocolate edible image sheets, but I'm not sure how the colors would show up on them. Has anyone tried these yet? You obviously couldn't do anything with white on it. It wouldn't show up. Just curious if anyone has any experience with them.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:04am
post #6 of 17

Hi
A lot depends on the icing sheet you are using. The premium Icing sheets are a bit thicker and can be put on chocolate with very little color coming through. The chocolate icing sheets are really cool! They are chocolate flavored and colored. They work great with darker colors and print with a sephia type look to them. So you are right as light colors do not show up well, but if you have an dark picture it works great for that.

Melvira Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:46am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

Hi
A lot depends on the icing sheet you are using. The premium Icing sheets are a bit thicker and can be put on chocolate with very little color coming through. The chocolate icing sheets are really cool! They are chocolate flavored and colored. They work great with darker colors and print with a sephia type look to them. So you are right as light colors do not show up well, but if you have an dark picture it works great for that.

Ooooohhh!! Like an antique picture!! I LOVE that idea. SOLD! SOLD!! Hehehe. I need to order some more white sheets anyway... so since I'm there... icon_lol.gif I always use icingimages sheets. I am so pleased with their quality, especially since you changed them to make the whole sheet printable. (I know that was quite a while back, but still... AWESOME move!) And the clear backing comes off even easier than the old white ones did. (Ok, I'm gushing... sorry!) icon_rolleyes.gif

thecakemaker Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:11pm
post #8 of 17

Well . . . . . it worked!

My frosting sheets were the thicker ones so I took a chance and it worked out fine! I did do a "test run" using an extra butterfly I had printed out in yellow ~ I smeared a bit of the chocolate frosting on a cake board and applied the butterfly and let it sit while I decorated a white cake and then frosted the chocolate cake - it still looked good so I went ahead and applied my image to the chocolate cake. I delivered both cakes last night and she was very pleased. I'll post the pictures this morning.

Thanks for all of your tips!
Debbie

icingimages Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:16pm
post #9 of 17

Hi:
Melvira, I am so glad you like them, they are really unique so you cant use them for everything you would the white ones, but they are a lot of fun! Cakemaker, glad it worked for you. Would love to see your pics. Where in MD are you? I was born and raised there!

thecakemaker Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:33pm
post #10 of 17

Debbie ~ I'm in Joppa, MD. You made my first edible image for my son several years ago when you were still in MD. I met you at the first VA wedding cake show also.

I'm attempting to include a link to the picture. Just a simple graduation sheet cake with a fondant grad hat on it.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1691745

icingimages Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:39pm
post #11 of 17

cakemaker - looks great! How are you. I just cant tell whos who with these forum names!!!So you are now printing! Call me on Tuesday and I will send out a few samples of the Chocolate Icing Sheets for you to try. It may not have worked for the butterfly as you really want to get those vibrant colors, not sepia, but you may be able to see how you would use them elsewhere!!!! Small world! Are you going to ICES?

icingimages Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:40pm
post #12 of 17

cakemaker - looks great! How are you. I just cant tell whos who with these forum names!!!So you are now printing! Call me on Tuesday and I will send out a few samples of the Chocolate Icing Sheets for you to try. It may not have worked for the butterfly as you really want to get those vibrant colors, not sepia, but you may be able to see how you would use them elsewhere!!!! Small world! Are you going to ICES?

Melvira Posted 30 May 2010 , 7:02pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

cakemaker ... Call me on Tuesday and I will send out a few samples of the Chocolate Icing Sheets for you to try.

I wish I lived in Virginia... icon_cry.gif

thecakemaker Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:21pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks Debbie ~ I'll give you a call on Tuesday

DonnaBinGrandRapids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DonnaBinGrandRapids Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 2:31am
post #15 of 17

I wanted to weigh in on this old discussion because I couldn't find anything new about it....I did my own test today with the supreme frosting sheets from ink4cakes.  I put two test images on chocolate frosting and gave it about 8 hours to see if there was any bleeding or blending of the colors. There was none.  So I put my full size image on the cake I was making for this weekend.  So....at least in the case of the Supreme sheets from ink4cakes  they definitely can be used on chocolate frosting without any white underneath.

Donna Batdorff

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 14 Mar 2014 , 2:49am
post #16 of 17

AIf you click on the Flickr link in my signature, I believe you'll find at least one picture (two, I think) of cakes frosted with DH canned dark chocolate frosting, with edible printing on them. If I remember right, one is a picture of my parents' 55th anniversary cake, with a speed limit sign on it, and the other was a birthday cake for my mother, with a photographs of roses (one of these days, I'll have the time to learn how to make a rose with a piping bag, but my BC is so dense, it tends to slump). In both cases, it was presumably DecoPac media and ink, given that it was printed with one of their "turnkey" edible printing systems (I was a bit surprised when I saw it being turned on, and what should come up, but a Linux startup screen!).

icingimages Posted 21 Mar 2014 , 2:59am
post #17 of 17

The surpreme sheets are the same as the premium sheets from Icing Images, those will work on dark frosting. It is the thinner brands that will not work

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%