What Is Going On With My Bc Icing??? ... Help

Baking By Mikel79 Updated 4 Aug 2010 , 4:36pm by sugarshack

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:53pm
post #61 of 117

Oh Sharon, that picture is so depressing! LOL. I'm going to crack the code on this icing yet! I'm waiting for my KA to blow up so I can go buy one with the lift head! I've tried everything else!!!! icon_eek.gificon_redface.gif

Seriously, I can usually get it to the point that I can work with it and can get my icing fairly smooth on the cake. I would just like to be able to dip my spatula in the bowl and come out with it creamy and smooth without having to remix or add more liquid.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:55pm
post #62 of 117

yes Michael.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 8:59pm
post #63 of 117

What?? I was all set to use my new beaterblade to make Sharon's icing and I'm confused - is it true that I cannot use a beaterblade to make her icing?? Please reply as i was gonna make icing Thursday! Thanks!

sugarshack Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:07pm
post #64 of 117

i do not like the beaterblade for my icing.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:09pm
post #65 of 117

Oh...no I finally learned NO beaterblade for icing....

sugarshack Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:09pm
post #66 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

Oh Sharon, that picture is so depressing! LOL. I'm going to crack the code on this icing yet! I'm waiting for my KA to blow up so I can go buy one with the lift head! I've tried everything else!!!! icon_eek.gificon_redface.gif

Seriously, I can usually get it to the point that I can work with it and can get my icing fairly smooth on the cake. I would just like to be able to dip my spatula in the bowl and come out with it creamy and smooth without having to remix or add more liquid.

I wish I had more advice. You all just need to come down here, with your mixers and ingredients.... and we will have a huge icing making party and figure it all out!

christeena Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:21pm
post #67 of 117

Is there a specific reason why you don't like the beaterblade? Does it not do the job well in mixing an airless icing?? I use it to make my ole regular icing , some air not much but I was gonna try Sharon's as I have 2 outdoor receptions that need to hold up to the heat and humidity.

christeena Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:23pm
post #68 of 117

Kitagrl,

Are you using HOT liquid like in Sharon's recipe??

sugarshack Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:26pm
post #69 of 117

beaterbalde causes air for me

Kitagrl Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 9:29pm
post #70 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

Kitagrl,

Are you using HOT liquid like in Sharon's recipe??

No...using my own recipe, that is similar. The making sure it filled up my 6 qt to the brim, and mixing wet ingredients first, really helped. I also read somewhere to beat the crap out of my shortening first, going to make sure I do that too.

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:04am
post #71 of 117

I wish I had more advice. You all just need to come down here, with your mixers and ingredients.... and we will have a huge icing making party and figure it all out![/quote]

-----

LOL!! Sounds great!!
Let us know when and where!

Kitagrl Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 1:07am
post #72 of 117

As the beaterblade scrapes the side, it makes pockets to the top that allows air down into the icing. I had to switch back to my regular paddle for icing again. Too bad, too...but yeah it does work better.

Kitagrl Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm
post #73 of 117

Yikes! Made a batch today with target brand pwdr sugar (usually use walmart brand) and it came out smooth but texture is slightly gritty!!! ARGHHHHH! Using it anyway but yuck, guess it does matter what sugar you use....

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:26pm
post #74 of 117

I just want to thank you lady's (kitagrl/Sharon) for taking the time to answer questions, I did not join in the threat because all my questions were pretty much answered.

I do know for a fact that I have definitely not beated my BC that long which is why maybe its not as smooth.

You guys rock !!!

Kitagrl Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:43pm
post #75 of 117

Its amazing how different the ingredients make the buttercream...this week I was short on time so bought everything (butter, sugar) at Target instead of my regular places and I don't care for my buttercream!!!! Weird.

Mikel79 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 10:54pm
post #76 of 117

I have read other post where folks say that the brand name of ingr. will make a difference. Which is interesting! When I make Sharon's Bc icing I use the following brands....

Domino's Powdered Sugar
TBK High Ratio Shortening
B&B Cake Supply flavoring
Coffee Mate Hot creamer (With water from my tap)

=)
Michael

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 11:14pm
post #77 of 117

I always use Domino (new bag), Sweetex, and Coffee Mate. Recently I tried the French Vanilla kind and it was awesome! I have not yet tried the Wedding Bouquet flavoring from B&B but I might buy a bottle when I get SPS stuff in the near future.

sugarshack Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:18am
post #78 of 117

Michael that is what I use, except Sweetex but I have heard the TBK brand is sweetex.

Who would seriously be interested in traveling to NOLA with your mixers for a BC class?

Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:20am
post #79 of 117

I really like the Walmart bags of powdered sugar...it seems very fine and loose, not chunky or anything.

And the Sam's Butter, I think, tastes nicer than store brands of butter.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:25am
post #80 of 117

I would! I would have my fiance fly me down-he just said he wouldn't mind.

Mikel79 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:12am
post #81 of 117

Sharon....

I would really LOVE to come. But, I live all the way in the Metro Atlanta GA area.....with a 4 year old....=) It would be almost impossible for me to do it.......

BUT!!!!!!..... I am willing to pay for a video of the class if you can gather enough folks to come.....

Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:16am
post #82 of 117

SS how much liquid would you use for 8 lbs of powdered sugar?

Today I warmed my milk before putting in, and I used 3/4 cup for 8 qts and I felt maybe I could have used less....

sugarshack Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:36am
post #83 of 117

very veryhard to say Kita. I dont have a mixer that big and ratio and proportion might not work. I would prob use trial and error. I use 14-16 TBS liquid for 5 pounds of PS.

sugarshack Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:37am
post #84 of 117

Kita that does not sound right. 16 TBS is one cup for my 5 pounds and you used 3/4 cup ( less) for 8 pounds of ps?

Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:41am
post #85 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

Kita that does not sound right. 16 TBS is one cup for my 5 pounds and you used 3/4 cup ( less) for 8 pounds of ps?

Hmm. 2 lbs (4 cups) butter.....4 cups Sweetex....whatever liquid (before when I didn't do the liquid first, I just poured whatever in until it looked good at the end), and 4 bags (8 lbs) powdered sugar. I did a cup last time and it was good, could have been a bit stiffer but it was fine...this time I warmed it first so reduced to 3/4 cup and it was pretty soft but fine for me...I'm just amazed that its so soft with only that much liquid though so was wondering how much you used. I'm using 2% milk, maybe mine is more watery.

sugarshack Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:44am
post #86 of 117

might be the milk and butter is more watery too. I dont use butter. So maybe you can go less milk.

Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 1:48am
post #87 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

might be the milk and butter is more watery too. I dont use butter. So maybe you can go less milk.

That's riiiight you don't use butter....gotcha. I bet 1/2 cup will be plenty for me then.

Mikel79 Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 4:05pm
post #88 of 117

Sharon...

I was reading an old post of yours back in 2007-2008. In one of your replies you mention that when you are done mixing the icing in your KA mixer, you cover it up and leave it to cool for 1 hour or more.

WOW!!! Whenever I make your icing, I use it immediately or MAYBE 20 minutes after it is done.

Do you think that the fact I am not letting the icing settle/cool down, this could cause issues with the icing?

=)
Michael

sugarshack Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 12:33am
post #89 of 117

No, I don;t. the cooling is just to let it stiffen up.

Mikel79 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 1:41pm
post #90 of 117

Sharon,

May you please look at my attached photos. I have read that the icing should come up to the springs in the KA mixer. My icing is always waaaay pass the springs??!!

Do you think I am using to much of shortening??? I bought a digital scale. I measure 1 cup of Hi-Ratio. Total weight in pounds was 0.44. So, I measured .44 pounds x 5 cups of hi ratio and mixed according to your instructions.

My KA paddle sounded like it was skipping inside the bowl, I was actually afraid that it might come bouncing out. Your instructions state to mix the sugar at first on speed 1. When I do so, my KA struggles so much to mix it. It is not easy mixing like your youtube shows. The top of my KA is very hot, not warm, to the touch.

The mixture is very, very thick and stiff when I start to incorpate all the sugar. I have to add about two more TBL. of hot liquid.

This is how my mixing always goes, even before the kitchen scale.

What do you think???

Michael
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%