Dummy Cakes

Decorating By ihavasweet2th Updated 29 May 2010 , 1:13am by ihavasweet2th

ihavasweet2th Posted 28 May 2010 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 10

How do you prepare square dummy cakes? I have done it before, covering the dummy cake first with royal icing and then "buttercream" using all crisco shortening and powdered sugar. I am able to get the icing smooth enough that people often ask if it is fondant. It is a lot simpler and cheaper than using fondant especially when no one is going to eat it! I was just wondering if anyone had some hot tips so I could avoid making royal icing, if there is an easier way! Any and all tips are greatly apppreciated! Have a great holiday weekend!!

~ihavasweet2th~

9 replies
mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 10

I cover my dummies with shortening before adding icing or fondant. It makes it easier to clean them off when I'm ready to change designs.

Caralinc Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:20am
post #3 of 10

I use piping gel then cover in fondant. I have also found this easy to use and simple to clean when changing designs.

mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:23am
post #4 of 10

Rylan posted in a thread not long ago that he also uses shortening. I use to use piping gel but it's harder to clean my dummy for my next design.

indydebi Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:26am
post #5 of 10

I just slap the (modified) BC right on there. Easy to scrape off ... I just get the spatula under the hardened BC and it pops off in big sheets.

When I say "modified", I omit the vanilla and dream whip since no one is eating it. (cost saver)

mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:38am
post #6 of 10

I'm doing that with my next bc dummy. No shortening to clean off makes it even better. thumbs_up.gif

ihavasweet2th Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:55am
post #7 of 10

so If I am reading right IndyDebi, you just use modified butter cream right on the cake dummy with no other preparation? That would be great! I always thought I needed to pre-ice it with royal icing and let it set and then ice with the "buttercream" so that the "buttercream" would adhere.

Thank you all for your responses, I greatly appreciate it!!

indydebi Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:07am
post #8 of 10

I dont' use royal icing for anything.

(back pedal just one step: I use royal for cookies, but that's it.)

robyndmy Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:09am
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone, and sweet2th!! I was just going to ask this question tonight icon_biggrin.gif

ihavasweet2th Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:13am
post #10 of 10

Thank you so much for the quick reply Debi!! I am going to do a test run and see out that works out for me!!! I would love to eliminate the RI as I have never liked working with it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%