Dummy Cakes

Decorating By ihavasweet2th Updated 29 May 2010 , 1:13am by ihavasweet2th

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 28 May 2010 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 10

How do you prepare square dummy cakes? I have done it before, covering the dummy cake first with royal icing and then "buttercream" using all crisco shortening and powdered sugar. I am able to get the icing smooth enough that people often ask if it is fondant. It is a lot simpler and cheaper than using fondant especially when no one is going to eat it! I was just wondering if anyone had some hot tips so I could avoid making royal icing, if there is an easier way! Any and all tips are greatly apppreciated! Have a great holiday weekend!!

~ihavasweet2th~

9 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 10

I cover my dummies with shortening before adding icing or fondant. It makes it easier to clean them off when I'm ready to change designs.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:20am
post #3 of 10

I use piping gel then cover in fondant. I have also found this easy to use and simple to clean when changing designs.

mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:23am
post #4 of 10

Rylan posted in a thread not long ago that he also uses shortening. I use to use piping gel but it's harder to clean my dummy for my next design.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:26am
post #5 of 10

I just slap the (modified) BC right on there. Easy to scrape off ... I just get the spatula under the hardened BC and it pops off in big sheets.

When I say "modified", I omit the vanilla and dream whip since no one is eating it. (cost saver)

mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:38am
post #6 of 10

I'm doing that with my next bc dummy. No shortening to clean off makes it even better. thumbs_up.gif

ihavasweet2th Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:55am
post #7 of 10

so If I am reading right IndyDebi, you just use modified butter cream right on the cake dummy with no other preparation? That would be great! I always thought I needed to pre-ice it with royal icing and let it set and then ice with the "buttercream" so that the "buttercream" would adhere.

Thank you all for your responses, I greatly appreciate it!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:07am
post #8 of 10

I dont' use royal icing for anything.

(back pedal just one step: I use royal for cookies, but that's it.)

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:09am
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone, and sweet2th!! I was just going to ask this question tonight icon_biggrin.gif

ihavasweet2th Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:13am
post #10 of 10

Thank you so much for the quick reply Debi!! I am going to do a test run and see out that works out for me!!! I would love to eliminate the RI as I have never liked working with it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%