Holy Cow!!! Cake Stencils...

Decorating By sweetlybaked Updated 29 May 2010 , 7:59pm by glendaleAZ

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 28 May 2010 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 11

I didn't know they were so dang expensive! What's the difference between these and say a stencil for your walls...which I pretty much thought they were??????

10 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 May 2010 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 11

I think they're a thinner type of stencil material, but I could be wrong.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 11

the ones for cakes are made of food safe materials. The others are not.. It depends on how you feel about this as to which one you use. I have actually used both before

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 11

Not to start a food safe war or anything, but basically if I were ok using wall stencils on cakes for friends and family, I should start hunting around at Home Depot?

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 11

yep, i use ones from the craft store!

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlybaked

I didn't know they were so dang expensive! What's the difference between these and say a stencil for your walls...which I pretty much thought they were??????

some people make their own with their cricut expression
good luck.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:37pm
post #7 of 11

i make my own w/ the expression and clear vinyl ... i think it's cheaper than buying stencil material, but i could be wrong ...

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 11

I use the ones from the craft store all the time. I do wash them first very well in a mild bleach solution and try not to leave them against the side of the cake too long, I try to work quickly. If you google vinyl and food safe issues, most say as long as there is not prolonged contact with food, then it is safe. (I also use vinyl from the fabric store to roll my fondant on, again, I just don't leave fondant on the vinyl very long) I don't think a few minutes is prolonged contact

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:53pm
post #9 of 11

I can't see how anything you have against the cake long enough to stencil would poison anyone, but thats me lol

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 28 May 2010 , 11:38pm
post #10 of 11

I just bought one for my brothers wedding cost me 20.00. Some of the stencils we looked at started at 8.00. Of course the one we picked was the most expensive.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 11

The stencil I purchased from GSA was for my new DIL's cake and it was $79.00 -- Ouch!!!! Its the one in my avatar.

Edited to add: I looked at 4 different website/stores and they were all the same price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%