Using Sugar Extruder Or "gun"

Decorating By Elaine2581 Updated 29 May 2010 , 8:57pm by Elaine2581

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 4

I add shortening to my fondant and it seems quite maleable but whenever I squeeze the gun it leaves little indentions. I recently made pencils for a cake and there was a small line about every inch or so. I know I'm just a perfectionist and others were complimentary but those lines bothered me and I always want to learn how to do everything better. Would love to have input from those of you who use this tool regularly. Thanks so much.

3 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:56am
post #2 of 4

Before I extrude, I microwave the piece just a little (under 10 seconds). Then I coat it quickly with a small amount of Wilton glycerin...this works so, so well!

If the piece has tylose in it, no matter what I do prior, it comes out funky, so in this case I extrude the piece larger than what I need, then roll on parchment paper with my fondant smoother...again, this works really well!

I only use MMF, by the way.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 4

Those indentations are from where you stop squeezing and start squeezing again. Try not to squeeze so hard. Because your fondant is SO malleable, it practically flies out of the gun while you're squeezing. When you stop squeezing, it comes to an abrupt stop, causing the indentations.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, I do use Tylose in the fondant to get it to harden, especially for the pencils. I'm sure I probably do squeeze too hard. My husband is always having to replace the faucets because I turn them off too hard. icon_redface.gif I will try less pressure and maybe the glycerin next time. Thanks again for taking time to answer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%