Help!!! Buttercream Dream Looking Grainy/curdled

Baking By ladyk333 Updated 28 May 2010 , 9:43pm by ladyk333

ladyk333 Posted 28 May 2010 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 12

I'm making a crusting buttercream (Buttercream Dream from CC). I usually use SMBC, so this is newer to me. I'm using Shugarshack's tip about doubling the mixture to eliminate air bubbles, but it is just not getting smooth looking in the mixture. I've had it beating on 6 on my KA for about 20 minutes now. I've got my VIVA towels ready and this cake will not have fondant on it, so I'd like a really smooth look. What should I do!!!

11 replies
ladyk333 Posted 28 May 2010 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 12

Hi again! I could really use a hand if anyone is out there! Should I add more powdered sugar? Have I overbeat it? It almost seems too soft in the bowl. I live in a dry climate and it is not a warm day. Any help would be wonderful!!!

ChRiStY_71 Posted 28 May 2010 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 12

What brand of ps did you use?

mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 12

Did you sift your powdered sugar? I use Dollar General brand of powdered sugar and it works great. You don't have to use expensive ps to get good results but sifting is essential.

What brand of shortening did you use? What brand of butter?

ladyk333 Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 12

Hi! I used Roger's icing sugar (I'm in Canada, not sure if you have that brand), Crisco all vegetable shortening (we can't seem to get "Sweetex") and Great Value butter from Wal - Mart. I did not sift the powdered sugar!! The recipe didn't mention it, though I should have known better. Is that the problem? If so, how do I correct it?

mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyk333

Hi! I used Roger's icing sugar (I'm in Canada, not sure if you have that brand), Crisco all vegetable shortening (we can't seem to get "Sweetex") and Great Value butter from Wal - Mart. I did not sift the powdered sugar!! The recipe didn't mention it, though I should have known better. Is that the problem? If so, how do I correct it?

I don't know of a "fix" for unsifted powdered sugar. I'm not sure that this is your problem though. Can you post a photo of your icing so that we can see what it looks like? Maybe that will help figure out what the problem is.

ladyk333 Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 12

Okay, I'll try to do that! I'm not very computer savvy, so it may take a bit of time!

Thanks!

ladyk333 Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 12

Okay, I'll try to add the photos as an attachment. We'll see if it works. If not, I'll upload it to my photos!

ladyk333 Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 12

Not working! It says my photo is too large or something. I'm not sure what to do. I don't think they'll let me post a photo of icing into the galleries! Any advice about getting the photo on?

DeeDelightful Posted 28 May 2010 , 9:00pm
post #10 of 12

I never sift powdered sugar and i use walmart, Kroger and domino brands. Take some of your buttercream out and heat it a little and remix. maybe the warmth will help smooth it out. I have been using hot liquid coffee creamer for my liquid and i add it to the shortening (I use Crisco), then add the powdered sugar about 1 pound at a time. If yours can stand anymore liquid, try adding it hot.

dalis4joe Posted 28 May 2010 , 9:22pm
post #11 of 12

it wil take you longer... but keep beating.... you didn't sift your PS and the mixer needs to work extra hard to achieve the same results...

my first SMBC.... was on my KA for over 1 hour before I got the right consistency... (due to MY errors of course) but... just keep beating... it will come together....

ladyk333 Posted 28 May 2010 , 9:43pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you, thank you everyone! That is pretty much what I've done. I let it sit (covered) for a bit and some oil (very little) seemed to appear on top. I figured maybe it needed more sugar, so I added another cup and 2 tsp. meringue powder (don't know why, just felt desperate!). It's looking better to me right now. Tastes delicious. I guess I'll see how it works!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%