Buttercream Versus Mmf For Decorations/pricing?

Decorating By jemchina Updated 28 May 2010 , 6:59pm by jemchina

jemchina Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 3

I got a cake order for simple Baby shower cake. Alternating stripes with 2 colors on sides and circle cut outs on top.

I'm planing on doing MMF, and am charging about $75 for a 2 layer 10" cake. Was wondering if the customer preferred BC would you charge more for these same decorations done with buttercream. I assume it would be harder to do the stripes in BC and more labor intensive.

I'm not a professional, just have done cakes for friends. After a 2 year hiatus on cake decorating I'm trying to get back in. After my daughters Birthday this weekend, people were amazed and impressed and I got 2 cake orders.

2 replies
leily Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 3

if the customer prefers BC then I tell them that they can remove the fondant. Even when i cover a complete cake with fondant i have my normal amount of buttercream under the fondant so they aren't missing out on anything.

I would tell them for the design there will be fondant pieces on there, but they don't have to eat them.

jemchina Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Leily,

This particular customer asked for all fondant. But of course I'll have a layer of BC underneath. I was just wondering for the future, because I know some people don't like fondant, but want decorations that are easier with fondant IMO. MMF is so cheap to make, and for one order I don't see myself buying a box or bucket of fondant.

So I guess the answer would be to still do the cake in BC and add the accents in fondant if they wanted just BC?

Quote by @%username% on %date%