Buttercream Versus Mmf For Decorations/pricing?

Decorating By jemchina Updated 28 May 2010 , 6:59pm by jemchina

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 3

I got a cake order for simple Baby shower cake. Alternating stripes with 2 colors on sides and circle cut outs on top.

I'm planing on doing MMF, and am charging about $75 for a 2 layer 10" cake. Was wondering if the customer preferred BC would you charge more for these same decorations done with buttercream. I assume it would be harder to do the stripes in BC and more labor intensive.

I'm not a professional, just have done cakes for friends. After a 2 year hiatus on cake decorating I'm trying to get back in. After my daughters Birthday this weekend, people were amazed and impressed and I got 2 cake orders.

2 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 3

if the customer prefers BC then I tell them that they can remove the fondant. Even when i cover a complete cake with fondant i have my normal amount of buttercream under the fondant so they aren't missing out on anything.

I would tell them for the design there will be fondant pieces on there, but they don't have to eat them.

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Leily,

This particular customer asked for all fondant. But of course I'll have a layer of BC underneath. I was just wondering for the future, because I know some people don't like fondant, but want decorations that are easier with fondant IMO. MMF is so cheap to make, and for one order I don't see myself buying a box or bucket of fondant.

So I guess the answer would be to still do the cake in BC and add the accents in fondant if they wanted just BC?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%