No Heat Core...

Baking By nmarie_22 Updated 28 May 2010 , 6:22pm by PinkZiab

nmarie_22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nmarie_22 Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 8

so I want to bake a 12 inch cake...my first one, but I don't have a heat core. Is it okay to go ahead and try to bake without one? I don't have much leeway as far as time is concerned and wasn't planning on this being an issue... help!!!

7 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 8

I did last night. Three of them at one time. I use a flower nail sprayed with Pam in the middle and pour the batter around it. I used the core one time and now it sits on my shelf.

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarie_22

so I want to bake a 12 inch cake...my first one, but I don't have a heat core. Is it okay to go ahead and try to bake without one? I don't have much leeway as far as time is concerned and wasn't planning on this being an issue... help!!!

The flower nails works great, but you can also use an empty soup can with both ends cut out.

Works just as good as the heat core and it's FREE after you eat your soup.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 28 May 2010 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 8

I like the soup can idea! I like the fact that it's open at both ends. I've also heard if you lower the temp. and bake a bit longer you won't have to use a heat core.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 8

I actually don't use a heat core at all on 12" or 10". I have one but hate that it is a pain. I usually use the things you get wet and put around the cake or wet towels. But my last cake I didn't even do that and it baked just fine! Rose normally and everything.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 8

Hey I LOVE the soup can idea! I've used both cores and flower nails but think this may be the way to go! I like that its open at both ends. when I used the core I always thought it was a mess. And I really couldn't see a good result with the flower nail. My cake always domed anyway and covered it up! Soup can. Great idea! thumbs_up.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 8

If it is a 2" high cake probably no need for core if you use the baking strips on the outside. 3" high cake though needs something in the middle I think (the flower nails or soup cake).

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 8

I've never used a heating core, flower nail, bake even strips or anything like that no matter how large the cake and I've never had issues--they really aren't necessary. Not saying they might not be of some help, but they certainly aren't required to bake large cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%