Dummy Cakes And Carving

Decorating By dmo4ab Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 6:31am by CWR41

dmo4ab Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 4

So, I'm still relatively new to decorating, but the more I do (and the more I get inspired at this site!), the more I want to learn and expand my skills even more. I'm thinking of getting a few dummy's to practice on and build my portfolio. I'm assuming I can just go to Hobby Lobby or Wal-Mart and buy regualar styrofoam in the shapes/sizes I want, right? I've read several posts here that you can coat them with crisco and then re-use them several times. What if I get brave enough to practice some carving? Can I do this with dummies?

3 replies
dmo4ab Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:28am
post #2 of 4

Ok. wow. Checked prices of styrofoam this weekend at Wal-Mart -- icon_surprised.gif not so cheap. I definetly will not be cutting on them to practice carving. Cake would be cheaper (and then I could eat it too).
To slightly change directions, does anyone know a good place to buy the dummies at a fair price?

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:50am
post #3 of 4

I was just checking out dummy cake prices online and found a website that said Dallas Foam has them at a pretty reasonable price. I haven't looked at their site yet, but it might be worth a shot to google them!

CWR41 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 6:31am
post #4 of 4

Try Shape Formation or Chef Rubber.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%