Baking A 12X18 Cake

Decorating By barb419 Updated 3 Jun 2010 , 9:32pm by barb419

barb419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barb419 Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 12

I have never baked a 12x18 size cake before, so I don't know how it is going to rise. I was reading about using flower nails to help to keep the dome down. Would I need to use them on this size cake? If so how many and where would I place them? Thanks for the help.

11 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 12

I always put one in the middle of my 12x18

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb419

I have never baked a 12x18 size cake before, so I don't know how it is going to rise. I was reading about using flower nails to help to keep the dome down. Would I need to use them on this size cake? If so how many and where would I place them? Thanks for the help.

i would use 2..
i use 2 heater cores on my 12x18

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 12

i dont use any, i have tried it but i prefer how it bakes without the nails.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 12

I've never used flower nails or heating cores. I grease-only-no-flour the pan, use baking strips, bake at 325 (in a home oven). cake rises higher than the pan every time. (I use 3 Betty Crocker cake mixes.)

nonna5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonna5 Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 12

I always use flower nails on large pans. Be sure to grease and flower the entire nail. On a 12 x 17 I usually use 5 or 6 nails spaced evenly apart down the center. My cakes come out level and they are done in the middle.

newcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakester Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:47am
post #7 of 12

Barb 419. I am with you, I am getting ready to bake my first 12 X 18 cake. Thanks for posting your question. Can anyone give some advice on how much batter it is going to take to make one? Does anyone have a good recipe to recommend? I have used the Original WASC for several cakes and love that recipe, but how much batter do I need?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:51am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcakester

Can anyone give some advice on how much batter it is going to take to make one? Does anyone have a good recipe to recommend? I have used the Original WASC for several cakes and love that recipe, but how much batter do I need?

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:13am
post #9 of 12

to OP... I have never used flower nails, or bake strips, I currently have 3 18x18 cakes sitting on my table waiting to be covered in fondant. I just bake 300 degrees abot 80 -90 minutes. i have a gas oven, so it can vary slightly.

It is all about the experimenting !! icon_lol.gif

To JanH.. I am following you around the posts, because wherever you go.. great tutorials are sure to follow !!! Including the one you just posted and that I immediately faved. icon_biggrin.gif

newcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakester Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:05pm
post #10 of 12

JanH, thanks for the helpful link. It had all the information I needed. I have been checking out CC for a few weeks and reading as much as I can. All the folks seem so helpful and I appreciate the assistance since I am still new to this wonderful addictive thing called cake decorating. icon_biggrin.gif

barb419 Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 12

WOW! there are so many different ways to do this! I guess I will have to pick one and try it to see if it works for me. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Like newcakester, I am pretty new to cake decorating, and this site has been sooooo helpful in my cake decorating. If I ever have a question about anything cake related, I know where to come for the answers! Thanks everyone!!!

barb419 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 9:32pm
post #12 of 12

indydebi said she uses 3 cake mixes for this size pan. If I use an 11 x 15 pan will I need 3 cake mixes or just 2? Im still trying to figure out how many people Im going to be serving to decide which size cakes I need, so Im trying to get all my options before baking. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%