Any Idea Why?

Baking By CiNoRi Updated 28 May 2010 , 8:00am by CiNoRi

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 28 May 2010 , 4:30am
post #1 of 5

I just ran across a ganache recipe that specified using a semisweet baking bar of chocolate instead of the semisweet chocolate chips...
Any ideas on why?

Thanks!

4 replies
CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 28 May 2010 , 4:40am
post #2 of 5

preference I would say. You can use whatever choc you want for your ganache. I use ghirahdelli chips when i make it but to each his own.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 28 May 2010 , 4:42am
post #3 of 5

Chocolate chips are made with wax which helps them keep their shape.... it really dosent do much for ganache though. If you use real chocolate you will notice a difference in your ganache. It dosent look and feel.... runny I guess is the only way to describe it.... HTH

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 28 May 2010 , 4:47am
post #4 of 5

Sometimes the chips have a coating on them to help them keep their shape - good for cookies, not so good for melting. Also some people prefer to finely chop the chocolate so it melts easier in the cream.

I find it a pain to chop the chocolate so I use a couverture that comes in small pieces (slightly bigger than chips) - rarely have a problem getting them to melt in the cream, if it doesn't melt completely I just put my bowl over a pan of boiling water and stir until smooth.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:00am
post #5 of 5

Cool thanks for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%