Help With Rkt!!!

Decorating By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 29 May 2010 , 2:21am by saberger

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:52am
post #1 of 10

HELP!! I'm making a plane out of RKT for a cake that I have to deliver on Saturday. I've used RKT before to make figures, etc. but I've always made the RKT. I read that a lot of people buy the pre-made RKT and this time I decided to give it a try - but the keep falling apart!

I have the body of the plane already made, and it's on thin dowels so I can poke it in the cake when it's done (I have the front dowel longer, in hopes that the plane will look like it's taking off).

I crunched them together super tight, and they stick, but they are falling apart at the seams!! haha If I don't have a dowel immediately underneath it, they start to pull away from each other and I'm totally freaking out!

Once I buttercream it, will it stay together better? I was hoping that once the buttercream crusts it will act kind of like a glue? Does anyone have experience in with this ultra-frustrating issue?! icon_smile.gif

9 replies
idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:16am
post #2 of 10

If you have melting chocolate, there is a chocolate clay (melting chocolate and corn syrup) recipe on here that I used a little while back at another poster's recommendation to mix RKT and modeling chocolate for a firm hold. It works like a charm... my homemade RKT never stick together right! Since you've already shaped, you could coat w/ the chocolate and it should work for you. It does set up hard though... so if you're planning on this being a special treat for someone to enjoy, it will be a little tough on their teeth. Good luck!

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 28 May 2010 , 4:20am
post #3 of 10

Awesome! I'm going to try that - it sounds like it would work great!

THANK YOU! thumbs_up.gif

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 10

I have a major project this upcoming week with RKT and I have never used it before. Thanks for sharing this technique! Would it work just as well if I were to use just melted chocolate versus the clay? And may I ask which recipe you used? I have tried a couple and never been pleased. Last question, can I use the pre-packaged RKT with this technique?

THANK YOU!!

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 10

Ive tried holding together RKT with just chocolate. I didnt really prefer it. I like the tip of using the candy clay! I can see how mixing it in the actual treats would make it really tough. I wonder if it tastes good though? Coating it on the outside is a great idea. I wonder if you could then set it in the freezer for a minute to set it up really quick. Or fridge, whatever. Then maybe let it condensate for a second and apply the fondant? What a great idea! Ive had the same issue with large sculptures falling apart. I hope you will post your results and a photo when you are done!

idocakes4fun Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 10

This is the link to the recipe I used... http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1985/candy-clay-for-modeling-3d-figures. I'm sure it would work well w/ pre-made RKT too. And, I think it would be fine to put in the freezer for a minute to set up... but, it actually does set up pretty quickly regardless. There is a great post on here (where I found this suggestion) showing a CC'ers progress on a skunk form using RKT and chocolate clay, but of course I can't find it now.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 10

Maybe it's time to bring up this thread again?
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623004.html

I have it bookmarked in case I ever have a large project with RKT. Check it out and see if it helps.

idocakes4fun Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatize

Maybe it's time to bring up this thread again?
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-623004.html

I have it bookmarked in case I ever have a large project with RKT. Check it out and see if it helps.

Thank you!! That is the one to which I was referring. I've bookmarked it this time myself.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:25pm
post #9 of 10

I have used edible glue (Tylose powder and water - recipe found here on CC) with a lot of success also when using the premade RKT.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:21am
post #10 of 10

Awesome!! Thank you for sharing that link! I will definitely be giving that a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%