Wilton Castle Cakes...

Decorating By grandmaruth Updated 28 May 2010 , 3:51am by alene

grandmaruth Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:36am
post #1 of 3

I will be making my first castle cake...due June 5 and another one shortly after that...would love some ideas on how to transport the cake....i will be delivering it half way to someone that will then take it to the party....i am worried out traveling with the towers in the cake already and also....the towers that arent in the cake...any ides would be greatly appreciated

2 replies
Cookie4 Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:35am
post #2 of 3

So glad you asked this question. I made the Wilton Castle cake for a young mother with a set of twins. The cake came out beautifully along with two matching cupcakes with turrets on them with the twins names on each cupcake.

I assembled the cakes and was so proud of myself and then tried to lift the awkward and heavy cake. Because I had added all the towers/turets and decorated around their bases I couldn't remove them without having to redu a lot of the decorations and icing. So, I wrapped ribbon around (horizontally) a couple of times. Placed the cake in a large cardboard box and made the delivery and am I glad "I made the deliver" instead of having the customer pick up the cake.

I lost two towers/turrets and had to remake them at the delivery location. If I had to do it again I would definitely assembly those towers/turrets on location.

Also - FYI - that design is a whole LOTTA CAKE for a children't birthday party. I was very surprised how many it served and how heavy it was when I picked it up. Good luck - it's very impressive when completed.

alene Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:51am
post #3 of 3

I drove all the dowels into the cake drum. I had my husband drill holes in the bottom of all the towers and put them over the dowels. I used royal icing to secure the turrents in place. With all that, I had no problem with delivery. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%