Don't You Wish They Always Listened To You! Mini-Vent

Decorating By multilayered Updated 29 May 2010 , 8:42pm by bobwonderbuns

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 10

I know this isn't that big of a deal, but it's driving me nuts!!! My newest client ordered a cake for her 1 year old's birthday (last minute!) she doesn't have a particular theme. She does want light pink, fuchsia, and lime green, and possibly circles.

As soon as she say's these things the cake pops into my mind & I know exactly what to do and in my head and it...is... BEAUTIFUL!!! With her color scheme I imagine a stark white cake with strips and circles in her colors to really make them POP.

However she wants light pink fondant covering the cakeicon_sad.gif I tell her my opinion that the colors will not be as bright and vibrant on a light pink cake, but she wants it anyway. I can't push it, it is HER cake.

So I come home and start mixing the colors....and I know it is silly but the light pink is just KILLING me! It just doesn't look nearly as nice as the white, but I just have to suck it up "the customer is always right"

Do any of you have any stories about when you "just wished they listened to you" but didn't?

PS
I know the cake will be nice anyway, and she'll be happy that's what counts....I knowicon_smile.gif

9 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 10

Always. I seem to get the people that want every decoration we carry crammed onto the cake and then 10 names written on it. I tell them it won't look good with all that stuff. I get a blank stare. I try to tell them I won't have room for all that. I get a blank stare. Then they say, well just do this but if you find you have room do all that other stuff too.

Then they come to get the cake and complain that there is a tiny white space in the corner that is plenty of room for all those other decorations they wanted!

bleh.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 10

If you want, show her the cake in my pics, it's fits the bill and she can see what it will look like against white. I agree, the pink won't look as nice.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 10

YES! OMG I did a cake once where they wanted a few thin stripes. Like 3 per side on a 8 inch square. icon_confused.gif

Which totally didnt make sense to me, so I said I will do several stripes on the sides and she was very adamant that she wanted only like 3-4 stripes per side and they were to be THIN. It looked so STUPID! Like a half finished cake, and afterwards? She said that her only disappointment was that I didnt fill in the sides with something. SOMETHING?!?! How about more freakin stripes!

I was so ticked.

multilayered Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:15am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisskween

If you want, show her the cake in my pics, it's fits the bill and she can see what it will look like against white. I agree, the pink won't look as nice.

Yes, my idea is similar, but I already mentioned it twice and she is adamant about the pinkicon_sad.gif

multilayered Posted 29 May 2010 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 10

Well I made it, and I stand corrected the pink DOES look niceicon_smile.gif
LL
LL

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 10

I agree. It's darling.

However, I do understand what you mean. The ugliest cakes that I've ever made were "designed" by the customer. icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 10

I actually like the pink too, and I don't like white as a backdrop for a multi-colored cake unless its done just right... I think the background color makes the cake overall look more "themed" and colorful.

Actually I've had some customers really surprise me...they designed the cake...I followed instructions...and I was pleased. Only a few times I felt maybe their design was less than desirable.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:35pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by multilayered

Well I made it, and I stand corrected the pink DOES look niceicon_smile.gif

Yes it does look nice. I prefer the white, but I have to admit, the pink looks good! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 May 2010 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 10

It's a lovely cake!!

I know what you mean about not listening -- I had a couple who wanted my chocolate dipped strawberry basket cake -- in NOVEMBER (when it's NOT strawberry season) and I told them this is not a good idea... Well long story short, they persisted, they got, they were NOT happy (the strawberries molded almost immediately after dipping them and got worse as the day went on) and they wanted ME to bite the bullet on it (like NO WAY MAN!) icon_confused.gif I told them "I told you it wasn't strawberry season several times, yet you insisted this is what you wanted. Fine. You will pay for it too." and they did... That's what they get for not listening! icon_rolleyes.gificon_twisted.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%