Converting Cake To Cupcakes?

Baking By newb2 Updated 28 May 2010 , 10:51am by bakescupcakes

newb2 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 11

Is there a "formula" you use to convert a cake recipe into cupcake? I'm assuming you bake at the same temperature for less time. I have a cake recipe that is intended for 2 9-inch cake pans and bakes at 350 for about 45 minutes. How long do you think cupcakes should bake for? thanks for all your help and advice!

10 replies
leily Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 11

I dont' adjust my cake recipe at all, i just put it in a cupcake pan and check them after 15 minutes. Depending on the flavor/density/scratch or box they may go up to 20 minutes. But in my oven with 24 cupcakes in there it usually takes 15-20 minutes.

LindaF144a Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

I dont' adjust my cake recipe at all, i just put it in a cupcake pan and check them after 15 minutes. Depending on the flavor/density/scratch or box they may go up to 20 minutes. But in my oven with 24 cupcakes in there it usually takes 15-20 minutes.

Ditto what she said.

linstead Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 11

Yep - ditto to above - most regular size cupcakes take 15-18 minutes to bake.

indydebi Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:30am
post #5 of 11

Ditto again. I never even use a timer anymore. I can smell when they're done. Drives my kids nuts when they ask "how long to bake this?" and I tell them, "Until it's done."

Kitagrl Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:43am
post #6 of 11

The new "cupcake" mixes are cracking me up...

indydebi Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:49am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

The new "cupcake" mixes are cracking me up...

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Aren't they a HOOT!!!???? Reminds me of the "special" paper towels made for the microwave some years ago (10+). They were 2-3 times the price of plain 'ole normal paper towels.

A friend asked me what I thought of them.

I asked her, "Why would I even buy them?"

She said she bought them "....because I don't want those others to catch fire or anything!"

I asked her, "in the years you used the cheap paper towels in your microwave, did they EVER catch fire?"

But a "special" paper towels comes out and ooooooh gosh golly gee now people are thinking they HAVE to use those instead of the ones they've been using for years and years.

It was P.T. Barnum who made a fortune under the philosophy of "Never overestimate the intelligence of the American Public."

Kitagrl Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:53am
post #8 of 11

Wow I don't remember "microwave" paper towels. I take it they didn't last long. haha.

linstead Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:06am
post #9 of 11

Funny (about the PT)... icon_rolleyes.gif

leah_s Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:17am
post #10 of 11

Ditto. My formula for cupcakes is make them a lot smaller than a normal cake. ALL my recipes end with "Pan as desired and bake until done." Gotta love culinary school recipes.

bakescupcakes Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:51am
post #11 of 11

I sometimes halve cake recipes or even a third, depending on how many eggs in recipe, only because some recipes make alot of cupcakes. But generally I've found that most cake recipes work really well for cupcakes. Except for one particular mud cake recipe that I have, when I make cupcakes they always turn out alot lighter in texture, compared to when made in a cake tin. Not sure why, has anyone else had this happen? lol or is it just me!?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%