Adhering Fondant

Decorating By cakesoohlala Updated 7 Jun 2010 , 2:50am by mamawrobin

cakesoohlala Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 11

What is the best way to adhere fondant or gum paste together? For instance, ears or horns. Thanks so much!

10 replies
KristasKakes78 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:19pm
post #2 of 11

I use a small paintbrush and dip it in water,the water glues fondant well.
I know alot of people use royal icing also.

artscallion Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 11

Water works well, particularly if the pieces are still fresh. If the pieces are dry or are particularly heavy and I really want to make sure they're solid, I dissolve a bit of fondant or gumpaste in water to make a glue.

Kerry Vincent has a rule that if both surfaces of your fondant are wet (meaning fresh), it's easier to get a good bond. If one surface is fresh and the other is dried, you can still get a decent bond. If both surfaces are dry, you need to do a little extra to make sure you get a good bond.

KristasKakes78 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 11

I have never heard of dissolving fondant in water to make glue...I am excited to try it.

cakesoohlala Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks ladies! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 4:52pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristasKakes78

I have never heard of dissolving fondant in water to make glue...I am excited to try it.

For larger pieces or bows I use fondant dissolved in water. Use VERY LITTLE water because you don't want it to be thin. I first start by just getting my hand wet and working the fondant until it starts to dissolve in my hand then I put it in a cup and add a few drops at a time until I have the right consistency. There is probably a better method icon_lol.gif but that's the way that I do it. thumbs_up.gif

thesweetconfection Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 11

I also use piping gel for attaching heavier items - its a great glue.

jones5cm Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #8 of 11

All these glue/adhereing forums this morning and no mention of Tylose/water - edible glue. Does anyone else besides me still use this??

sweettreat101 Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 9:48pm
post #9 of 11

Do you have any Tylose. Take a little Tylose and add a little water. Let it set until it melts. Stir. Makes a great glue.

cakesoohlala Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 11

Okay, I do have tylose. I will give it a try...Thanks!

mamawrobin Posted 7 Jun 2010 , 2:50am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones5cm

All these glue/adhereing forums this morning and no mention of Tylose/water - edible glue. Does anyone else besides me still use this??

Absolutely! I understood that the op was asking for an adhesive for heavier fondant/gumpaste pieces.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%