Offset Stacked

Decorating By gsbcakes Updated 30 May 2010 , 2:13am by Doug

gsbcakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 7

How do you achieve the offset stacked look. Where it looks as though the middle tier is set way off to the side about to fall off the bottom cake and the tier on top of that is set way off to the other side. I know there are support systems that achieve this but didnt know if there was a cheaper way.

6 replies
marthajo1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 7

I think Doug had something about that..... let me go look!

marthajo1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 7
marthajo1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 7

Here is what He said.... In this thread.... which has illustrations....

Originally Posted by Doug

a little engineering help.

it's the cantilever in action (go frank lloyd wright and "falling water"!)

really very simple principle

so long as over hang does not exceed more than about 1/3 the dimension (length or width) it should stay put by itself (barring earthquakes, additional loads, children in case of cakes)

now...another secret to the cantilever -- if the part sticking out has something sitting (applying force down) over the area that is over the support -- even more can stick out.

in diagram....

12" square base -- black line

10" middle cake -- blue line -- offset so about 2 inches hangs off the two edges (this is well w/in the 1/3 of width tolerance -- could go almost to 3 inches.)

then a 6" x 12" top layer -- which works two ways....
A) it exerts downward force on the middle layer helping to keep it from tipping over.
b) it over hangs by 4 inches -- 1/3 it's total width. that combined with 2 or more central dowels keeps it from going tippy.

sizes of tiers can be changed so long as stay with the no more than 1/3 overhang.

as for Mike McCary's method -- he uses flanges that attach to the PVC and then you can bolt a piece of wood or masonite to them.

marthajo1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 7
gsbcakes Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:00am
post #6 of 7

thank you so much

Doug Posted 30 May 2010 , 2:13am
post #7 of 7
Originally Posted by marthajo1

oh's another one! YIKES!!

still that ol' cantilever in action.

go gravity!

Quote by @%username% on %date%