To Place In Fridge Or Not?

Decorating By barnes113 Updated 27 May 2010 , 9:50pm by mamawrobin

barnes113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barnes113 Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 6

i have a cake that frosted with buttercream, the problem is that is sooo hot and humid right now were i live and my ac down stairs is broken that when i take it out to decorate is the cake is wet i think with condensation. My question is 3part

1. What is the best way to so store it to crust .If i put it in the fridge with it crust.
2. If i take it out the fridge will it "melt" when i try to decorate.
3. How should i store it, like i said its hot a room temp and the cake is not going to be picked up until Sat. Thank u for for ur time and any help.

5 replies
barnes113 Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 6

icon_cry.gif HELP PLEaSE ANYONE!!!!!!!!!

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 6

Do you have a good strong fan you can point at the cake when you take it out of the fridge to help dispel any condensation?
It should solidify pretty well in the fridge. Have you already smoothed the icing? If so, just keep it in the fridge until you're ready to decorate and try a fan to keep air circulation going once you've got it out.

I've had this happen too, where it's so hot & humid that the icing just droops. It's frustrating. I'm a fan of the fan thing (heh). A more crusting buttercream also helps - indydebi's works well for me in pretty much any weather:
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Once everything is decorated, store it covered in the fridge. I don't know if your decorations will allow for it to be wrapped in plastic wrap; if not, put it in a box in the fridge. Make sure your recipient knows to keep it cool if they're not serving the cake until Saturday night/Sunday.

Good luck!!

barnes113 Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 6

thanks u sooooooooooo much for the help

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 6

I keep all my cakes in the fridge. I know a lot of people don't - but it has always worked for me.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 6

I never refrigerate my cakes. I don't use perishable fillings.

It is very hot and humid here in Arkansas. If I don't refrigerate my cakes it's never a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%