Red And Black Fondant

Decorating By kpetcov Updated 27 May 2010 , 4:45pm by tracycakes

kpetcov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpetcov Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 5

My daughter's graduation party is Sunday and will be making a cake. The school colors were red, white and black. I was going to make some red and black fondant to cut out stars and curlies. I have not made red and black fondant before. Do you find that it needs a lot of color to get a true red and black?

Which color of red should I use?

I was thinking about buying the 2 already made multi-packs of fondant which have the red and black in it but I don't want to spend $10.00 and such for each pack to use only one color in the pack.

Thanks for your help.

4 replies
sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, it takes quite a bit of gel color to make red and black. Americolor makes a Super Black and Super Red gel color that is great! It doesn't require as much of the gel as Wilton gel colors to acheive the same deep shade.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 5

yep - it takes quite a bit...i normally buy black when i need it. maybe try using cocoa powder in the black in the place of a little powdered sugar if you're making mmf to get it at a darker starting point

rc1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rc1980 Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 5

if you have chocolate fondant just add black coloring and it doesn't take as much to get it black

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 5

I've made red and black tons of times, it seems I get lots of requests for red and black. I use Americolor and plenty of it. Make sure to make it a day ahead of time because it does darken overnight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%