Decorating By Not-Betty-Crocker Updated 28 May 2010 , 8:04am by stello_creations

Not-Betty-Crocker Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 5

I am thinking of investing in an airbrushing kit, but they are rather expensive and would like to hear from those of you who have them. Do you use it all the time? Is it really useful? How is it easier than just coloring the fondant before covering the cake? What are the pros and cons???
Please advise. icon_smile.gif

4 replies
mamawrobin Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 5

I don't own one of my own but use one in the bakery where I work. I never color a fondant covered cake after it's on the cake. I like the even distrubition of color that you get by coloring the fondant before putting it on. I'm not saying that you can't airbrush a cake and get those results but it's harder to get the color even.

The airbrush is great for some things but I have no desire to own one of my own. It's certainly not something on my list of "must haves".

Malakin Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 5

I bought one and use it for approx. 50% of the cakes I make. It is so much easier coloring the fondant and doesn't make me feel like my arms are falling off like when I have to color the fondant.
I especially use it for the darker colors, like green, red, and black.
Cons: Makes a fine colored mist covering all over the kitchen.
I didn't think mine was too expensive, approx. $160.00 which included shipping. TCP global and it came with 12 large bottles of Americolor.

Not-Betty-Crocker Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:43am
post #4 of 5

Thank you both for the input.
I figured getting an even coloring might be a challenge but then for many of my landscaped cakes I end up coloring the fondant by hand and then spraying the wilton colors on the finished cake, to create some depth.
I live in Greece, and so far the only Airbrushing machine I found is in the UK and cost about $360 after the conversion... so its a rather big investment. I will think about it... maybe I'll get one in the US next time I'm over.
Thanks again.

stello_creations Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:04am
post #5 of 5

Malakin can you tell me what model you got as I have been looking on TCP and would like your input.

Quote by @%username% on %date%