Making Cakes Ahead Of Time

Decorating By Aimomo26 Updated 31 May 2010 , 5:15pm by Aimomo26

Aimomo26 Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 14

So I usually make the entire cake in one day - and just make the fondant decorations ahead of time, but as I start to make more and more complex cakes I'm finding it hard to bake and decorate in the same day. I don't want to resort to freezing my cakes (I'm not fond of freezing anything unless necessary) If I make them the night before and level them should I just wrap them in saran wrap and leave them out overnight or should I refrigerate them?

Thanks!

13 replies
mamawrobin Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 14

I wrap and leave on the counter. How in the world do you bake the same day? icon_eek.gif I've always baked at least a day or two before. How do you have time to allow your cake to settle after filling? That process alone takes me a min. of 5 hours.

Anyway, I don't ever refrigerate my cakes. Plain or decorated. It's a personal preference but no need.

adamsmom Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 14

I like to freeze mine, however, if you decided not to as you said that's not a method you like, then I would error on the side of caution and put it in the fridge over night (wrapped of course) and then take it out the next day when you're ready to decorate. Good luck! Glad business is keeping you busy!

dmo4ab Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 14

I just wrap mine in saran wrap and make sure it seals good and leave them out.

crystalina1977 Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 14

i also make mine ahead, wrap in saran wrap, put back into the pan, cover with foil and put into the freezer 2,3,4 days ahead. with working my "regular" full time job i couldn't do it all in one day.

RachelC Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 14

So if you froze the cake, how long do you thaw it out or keep it out before you start using it? Is it okay to start decorating right after you take it out of the freezer or do you let it sit out for a bit?

Minstrelmiss Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 14

I let mine come to room temp from the freezer before I level, torte, and crumb coat. Then I let set about an hour before completing.

Christy0722 Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 14

I was not a big fan of freezing my cakes until I read a forum on here about doing just that. I wish I could remeber extacly where I read it (and give credit where credit is due). I started wrapping mine in saran/plastic wrap about 10 minutes after baking. I double wrap and then put into the freezer. I did one as an experiment to see how it tasted and.....OMG! It made the biggest difference in the moistness of the cake. I take mine out the morning that i'm going to decorate and leave them wrapped until they are completely thawed out. Works like a charm for me!
Bake a 6 inch and try it!! HTH!!

RachelC Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks ladies! I'm going to try that tonight and see how that works! Then let it thaw out early Saturday morning before filling and crumbcoating. I want to put a thin layer of ganache under the fondant..but that maybe too much, since I'm doing a chocolate buttercream filling..

Minstrelmiss Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 14

Sounds tasty! My family loves a ganache or truffle filling with buttercream.

Aimomo26 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:16pm
post #11 of 14

[quote="mamawrobin"]I wrap and leave on the counter. How in the world do you bake the same day? icon_eek.gif I've always baked at least a day or two before. How do you have time to allow your cake to settle after filling? That process alone takes me a min. of 5 hours.

Anyway, I don't ever refrigerate my cakes. Plain or decorated. It's a personal preference but no need.[/quote]

Well I'm still learning - so my techniques might not be the same as what they teach in school but its how I've always done it

I usually bake them early in the morning and let them sit during the day - just not for more than that.

Thanks for all the help you guys!

Appreciated as always!

crystalina1977 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:31pm
post #12 of 14

personally i don't even thaw mine out for any length of time. i take it out of the freezer, tort and fill, the crumb coat. into the fridge while i do the other cakes (if more than one).

mamawrobin Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 14

[quote="Aimomo26"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Well I'm still learning - so my techniques might not be the same as what they teach in school but its how I've always done it

I usually bake them early in the morning and let them sit during the day - just not for more than that.

Thanks for all the help you guys!

Appreciated as always!

I believe that you should do what works for you thumbs_up.gif

Aimomo26 Posted 31 May 2010 , 5:15pm
post #14 of 14

[quote="Christy0722"]I was not a big fan of freezing my cakes until I read a forum on here about doing just that. I wish I could remeber extacly where I read it (and give credit where credit is due). I started wrapping mine in saran/plastic wrap about 10 minutes after baking. I double wrap and then put into the freezer. I did one as an experiment to see how it tasted and.....OMG! It made the biggest difference in the moistness of the cake. I take mine out the morning that i'm going to decorate and leave them wrapped until they are completely thawed out. Works like a charm for me!
Bake a 6 inch and try it!! HTH!![/quote]

Now that I'm going to be taking more orders I think its probably worth my time to start doing this - It will really be a timesaver (especially since I pay rent by the hour!)

Thanks for the suggestion - I just hate freezing things but it seems like most people do this with good results - A lot of my cakes are vegan though so I'm definitely going to have to experiment first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%