Is This A Problem?

Decorating By cakecraft Updated 27 May 2010 , 5:38pm by cakecraft

cakecraft Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 6

Hi kind cc'ers.....

I am wondering if I will have trouble with this cake:

I baked a french vanilla WASC Tuesday night, cooled/wrapped and left out on a rack in a cake box. Last night (Wednesday) I filled it (alternating vanilla mousse/cooked strawberry filling), crumb coated and in fridge. I thought she wanted to pick it up Friday a.m, so i was planning on decorating it tonight (Thurs)....but it turns out it isn't needed until Sat. am.

I did "butter" the cake with buttercream before adding the fillings, to stop any sogginess. Will this be ok? I don't normally do fruit fillings.

Can anyone shed some light on timelines with this sort of filling? Thanks icon_smile.gif

5 replies
cakecraft Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 6

Thought I'd change the title to entice some replies, lol icon_smile.gif Please don't tell me I need to feed my kids cake for dinner tonight, and start re-baking!!!

KHalstead Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 6

what recipe did you use for the mousse??

I'm thinking it should be ok. Typically I bake wed/thur (depending on how many cakes I've got) and then level, fill, crumb coat on Thursday, decorate Fri, deliver Sat. I've never had any complaints

cakecraft Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the reply! I used instant vanilla pudding with whipping cream instead of milk (2 pkgs pudding, 3 c. whipping cream, 1 c milk)

I don't use a lot of fruit fillings and I was worried it might seep somehow, or get soggy. (Used frozen strawberries, instant jello powder --adds sweetness and colour) and cornstarch to thicken for the cooked filling) Incidentally, the leftovers were YUM!

PiccoloChellie Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 6

Is it wrapped up in the fridge? I only ask because you don't want to get funky flavors like garlic making their way in to your beautiful cake. icon_smile.gif
I concur that it should be okay. I usually bake Thursday for Saturday orders and always keep them wrapped up before icing them - they're just fine for Saturday or Sunday eatin'. icon_smile.gif

The fillings sound good - nice and summery!

cakecraft Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:38pm
post #6 of 6

It's inside a box--and I agree with the smell factor---it's in a second fridge I only use for cake stuff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%