Tried & Tested Cake Recipe & Icing Recipe For 1St W

Decorating By saraalvi Updated 27 May 2010 , 8:34pm by Loucinda

saraalvi Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 4

hii
can someody tell me perfect recipe for cake and icing for first wilton class and its the first course. i want it to be perfect the icing and the cake.

thank u

3 replies
Loucinda Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 4

To keep it simple, make a white boxed cake mix and use the icing recipe in your wilton decorating basics (or course one) book. You will need to at least double that icing recipe to have enough to ice your cake and use for the class instruction.

LindaF144a Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraalvi

hii
can someody tell me perfect recipe for cake and icing for first wilton class and its the first course. i want it to be perfect the icing and the cake.

thank u

I understand how you feel. I felt the same way when I took my course i class last month. But from my own personal experience I found you need to use the Wilton recipe for your first cake. Or you can use Indydeb's recipe here. They will both behave the way you need it to for the class.

I don't know where you are taking the class, but where I took it at my local Michaels, it was very hot in the craft room. I used SMBC to make my cake and it literally melted off the cake from the heat. The Crisco in the Wilton cake and Indydeb's has a higher melting point and will work for you while you learn the techniques.

If you don't like to eat products made with Crisco (personally I don't either), then you can either give the cake away (take it to work perhaps, or send it with someone else?), or don't eat the frosting part.

As for the perfect recipe, do you mean scratch or box? Because either one will work fine. It is all in personal preference.

In the class I just finished last night, a lady brought a store bought cake that she got in the frozen department with no icing. She iced it herself and then decorated it. After all the class is to learn technique, which cake you use to decorate is not as important as having the correct icing to learn the lesson without it melting.

Good luck and post photos here when you are done!

Loucinda Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 4

I stress to my students that it is very important to learn the class buttercream consistencies, THEN you can play around with other recipes to see what you like. For class, do as the book and your instructor advise - which is the class buttercream made with crisco. It can be very aggravating for the student AND the instructor if 10 different people bring 10 different icings to try to work with!

And as far as the cake - I know folks are usually very busy, so I suggest them baking all their cakes for classs one weekend day and wrap and freeze them. That way the day of class, they are already to go - just take the cake out of the freeer the morning of class to let it thaw.

If you don't want to bake a cake, you can also use a dummy, or you can ice a cake pan turned upside down! icon_wink.gif

Enjoy your class!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%