Is This The Type Of Knife I Should Be Using??? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 27 May 2010 , 10:39pm by DianeLM

Mikel79 Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:53am
post #1 of 16

Hi all!

Will you please take a look at the attached picture. I want to make sure I am using the correct type of knife to trim my cakes. The knife on the right is about 4 inches longer and has a more of a jagged edge to it.

I will be using this to trim the bulge that sometimes occurs on the side of your cakes when setteling happens. This is not the icing/dam bulge. This is the cake bulging. Sharon Zambito shows this in one of her DVD's.

Thank you
LL

15 replies
Occther Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:52am
post #2 of 16

I use a pizza cutter on the bottom to trim fondant.

Mikel79 Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:00pm
post #3 of 16

I will be using the knife to trim a bare cake, not fondant. It will be a buttercream cake. However, sometimes I have bulging when I leave my cakes to settle overnight.

Thanks !

leah_s Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 16

The cake itself bulges? Not the filling, the cake? REALLY? Are you sure your pans have perfectly straight sides?

Mikel79 Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 16

That is correct.

Sometimes when I leave the cake to settle overnight the cake itself, not filling will bulge out.

In one of Sharon Zambito's DVD's, I forget which one. She shows a cake that she baked and let sit overnight. This cake had a bulge on the side. She then trims the cake to a perfect even curve.

It is hard to see what kind of knife she uses.

Thank you!

leah_s Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:06pm
post #6 of 16

Waitaminit. A curve? What curve??

Mikel79 Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 16

The curve on a round cake??..

Thanks.

DianeLM Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 16

I get that bulge sometimes, too. I just use a long, serrated blade and cut down, with the blade perpendicular to the cake (horizontal). Trim, turn, trim, turn, etc. until it's all even.

I don't like holding the knife parallel to the cake (vertical). I feel I don't have as much control.

Leah, it's as if there is a lot of air in the cake, or something. After torting and filling, while it's settling (I use a weight, like you do) the bottom layer expands. Looks like an innertube. Next time it happens, I'll take a pic.

Mikel79 Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 16

DianeLM...

Thank you for a better explanation of this issue =) Is the blade I have pictured the same type of knife you use?

MadMillie Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:45pm
post #10 of 16

Sharon uses a knife like you have posted. Just make sure it is long enough and sharp.

Mikel79 Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:43pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you Madmillie!!

I wasn't sure....could not remember which DVD it was..

=)

MadMillie Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:55pm
post #12 of 16

You're welcome. I think she talks about the knife in more than one of her videos. I know for sure in the Totally Topsy Turvy DVD and I think Successful Stacking DVD. She is really good about rescponding to emails and providing links of where she purchases her supplies.

Mikel79 Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:12pm
post #13 of 16

Madmille...

Sharon is really good about responding to my emails. However, I bug the crap out of her via Pm'ing, I was trying to avoid sending another pesky message =)

I was hoping others would help........As always the CC community came thru!!

Thank you and everyone else for the help

=)

DianeLM Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:58pm
post #14 of 16

That's not the exact same knife I use, but I do use a serrated blade as opposed to a straight blade.

lecrn Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:51pm
post #15 of 16

I think that the one that I use is a 6 or 7 inch "utility" knife. It needs to be pretty sharp and the cake durable. I think Sharon's instruction is on the fondant dvd.
The "inner tube" is a pretty good descriptive word for what sometimes happens when the cake settles. I don't always have to trim, but sometimes I do. I use Magic Line pans and I still have some bulging sometimes.
I usually do not trim with my bc covered cakes, b/c I can get the bc thick enough to hide any slight bulge.
I use a thin coat of bc before applying the fondant, so any imperfection shows that's underneath.

DianeLM Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:39pm
post #16 of 16

A durable cake is ideal, but when I've had to deal with a fragile cake, I just pop it in the freezer for about 20 minutes to firm up the outside before I hit it with the knife. Then, back in the freezer for a few more minutes before the spackle or crumbcoat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%