Buttercream Or R/i And Cake Stencils???

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 27 May 2010 , 9:53am by carmijok

sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:17am
post #1 of 2

I have to make my brothers wedding cake next weekend. I have only used a stencil one time and it didn't turnout as good as I wanted but then it wasn't a cake stencil. It was a flimsy stencil I purchased at a craft store. I frosted the cake in a crusting butter cream and used butter cream for the stencil.

Which frosting works best buttercream or royal - is there a benefit of using one over the other? What consistency should the frosting be?

Finally I like to smooth my cakes with an imprinted paper towel. I like the look of the diamonds it leaves in the frosting. If I do this will it cause a problem when I try to stencil the design on the cake?

Wedding is getting close getting nervous. It's bad enough that they wanted a tiered wedding cake out of angel food to which I told them it wouldn't work. They also wanted whipped cream frosting which I also didn't recommend because I wouldn't be able to use the stencil. UGH!

Got to love those family freebies.

1 reply
carmijok Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:53am
post #2 of 2

I used buttercream on a craft stencil on a buttercream teapot cake I did and it turned out much better than expected. I made sure my smoothed buttercream was very cold and hard and the stenciled BC was spreadable, but put on fairly thick. I even colored the stenciled leaves with lustre dust (after cooling again of course). The cake is in my photo file here on CC if you want to see it. If I were you I'd make a small cake to practice with before the big day. I can't imagine that the stencil would interfere with your imprint, but you never know until you try.
As far as a whipped cream frosting, why not accommodate them by making that a filling?

Quote by @%username% on %date%