Handle For A Lawn Mower Cake

Decorating By funkyshoes74 Updated 27 May 2010 , 8:41am by CakeRN

funkyshoes74 Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:57am
post #1 of 4

I am brand new to this site, and am hoping someone will have an idea for me. I am making a lawnmower cake in 2 days and still have no idea how to craft the handle. I am not using fondant, i'm not quite that advanced as yet. I was thinking of threading licorice onto wire? I would be grateful for any ideas. Thanks in advance.

3 replies
madgeowens Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:12am
post #2 of 4

I don't like to use wire, so I would maybe try wooden skewers to thread your licorice. I recentlu made a motorcycle and made the handle bars from gumpaste/fondant.....and when I went to assemble they broke.......so what ever you use make sure its sturdy.I found out the hard way.

hollyml Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:04am
post #3 of 4

I can think of any number of things you could use to create the handle itself -- pretzel rods, peppermint sticks, pirouline cookies, or a plastic handle from a toy mower if it doesn't have to be edible -- but if it has to stick out of the cake at an angle the challenge will be how to make it stay up! Wooden skewers just might be the best bet for that, and black rope licorice would look great. Or if you use something more rigid, maybe you could attach some kind of angled bracket, like a flagpole holder, to your cake board? I also found a couple of pictures of cakes where it looks like the handle is getting some support with a "pull cord" running from the handle down to the main body of the cake.

CakeRN Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:41am
post #4 of 4

You could cover a wooden skewer with candy clay...that is what I did for my wagon cake in my pics...

Quote by @%username% on %date%