Coloring Fondant And Frosting

Decorating By spunkytina Updated 27 May 2010 , 4:39am by KrissieCakes

spunkytina Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:04am
post #1 of 5

What is the best way to color MMF black and red? I'm having a heck of a time with it. It keeps turning all crumbly on me. Frosting too...by the time I get it the correct color, it tastes awful. Yet, I see such beautiful cakes decorated with dark colors...they can't all taste bad. Help...i'm new to decorating!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

4 replies
kater82 Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:24am
post #2 of 5

you will quickly find out that A LOT of people buy their black fondant. If you are covering large areas of a cake with black or red, it is highly suggested to buy it. Satin Ice is a good brand. If you only need a tiny of both you can try and make it. Its very hard to get a true red though.

kater82 Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:25am
post #3 of 5

Oh and for icing, your icing will darken after it sits. So dont give up on the black yet. I have no problems making black icing. But I did notice it will darken.

mbark Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:31am
post #4 of 5

kater82 is right on. I buy red, black & purple fondant pre-colored (I use Satin Ice since it's the brand my cake store carries). I typically don't ice cakes in very dark colors but again if you dye the b/c icing & let it sit overnight it will darken. HTH

KrissieCakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:39am
post #5 of 5

I've read two different tips on here, but I haven't tried either one yet:

For red bc, first dye the BC with pink food coloring. Then add red and let it sit over night to darken.
For black bc, start with chocolate BC. Supposedly it takes a lot less black food color and it gets a lot darker than starting with white.

I don't really get the red BC tip, not sure why pink would help that much, but next time I make red BC I am sure going to try it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%