And It's My Problem Because.....????

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 27 May 2010 , 9:11pm by Minstrelmiss

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:41am
post #1 of 9

Yesterday I receive a call from some school needing a cake for some staff/teacher appreciation thing. The lady said she needed a cake to feed 60 people. Our half sheets serve 36-48 and our full sheets serve 72-96. She selected the full sheet. I ask about the design and colors and she hummed and hawwed for a few minutes then just said, "You know what, you're the professional, you decide, I'm sure it'll look good."

Alright by me! So I choose a floral design with hot pink, yellow and light blue roses (my fave combo) and write thank you on it.

So today the cake gets picked up. Not sure if it's the person who placed the order or just someone else. She looks a little confused when the bakery girl gives her the cake. The lady says "The secretary was supposed to call and change this to a half sheet." Oh, well, we didn't get a call, there was no change on the order form. Then she asks if we can score it for her. Not after it's already decorated, sorry.

"Oh, well this was really supposed to be a half sheet, can you sell it to me for the half sheet price?"

icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_confused.gif

The bakery girl that was helping her out just said she would have to speak with the store manager. I told her that the lady was lucky she spoke to her and not to me. I would have busted out laughing in her face. Not my fault your secretary forgot to call and change the order!

I'm gonna have to ask around the management tomorrow to see if she did get her discount.

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:13am
post #2 of 9

I *DID* burst out laughing when she asked the question! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

And what is with this "scoring" thing on cakes? These people are college grads and in charge of teaching our children math and geometry and they can't cut a 2" square without "tracing the lines"? icon_confused.gif

P.S. I just read this to hubby before posting and he does the hem-haw thing about people not knowing how to cut a cake. I said:

"It's a sheet cake! They are cutting it in little squares! They are COLLEGE GRADUATES!!! You're telling me they can't cut a sheet cake into little squares without someone showing them how??????"

(He really hates it when I get on a roll!) icon_biggrin.gif

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:25am
post #3 of 9

(He really hates it when I get on a roll!) icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

And we LOVE IT!!

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:27am
post #4 of 9

Yeah! It's not like they're getting a 3D carved sculpture cake or something.

Next time someone asks, I'm using your tip Debi about your thumb being one inch so you always have a ruler handy.

NO EXCUSES PEOPLE!!!! besides, people are going to cut them bigger than 2" anyways.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:08am
post #5 of 9

As the teacher would say....."We learn em...!" I would have told them to take it or leave it.....full sheet was ordered, full sheet is what you got. I think that is what they are teaching these days......look for something wrong....and go for a discount.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:20am
post #6 of 9

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... cant breathe now... oh man... icon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gif Now that cleans the lungs out, and draws up the sides.. thanks.. I needed that. icon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:27am
post #7 of 9

I have three kids all in the same k-12 school so I have contacct with a lot of the older kids as well. One of them came to me telling me she got a 92.5. A 93 is an A. If she had received the 93 she would have not had to taken the finals for the end of the year. I said oh well, I guess you will make sure you have that 93 next time? She said you better beleive it. I am proud of our school for not making exceptions. In life you make sure you do things and even if you are so close, life issnt always forgiving. If she didnt make the call, to make the change, she should pay for it. Schools should be held to a higher morals as they are the ones who are teaching the kids, you know the ones who will be taking care of us one day???? On the same note, would I offer a non-profit a discount...maybe but different subject

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

On the same note, would I offer a non-profit a discount...maybe but different subject

Good idea, but I work at a grocery store where I'm not in charge of discounts. Plus, we have the cheapest cakes in town. The full sheet she got serves 72-96 and costs, ready?, $34.87.

The way I see it, they're already paying the cheapest price around, no one can beat us. That's enough of a discount.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingimages

On the same note, would I offer a non-profit a discount...maybe but different subject

Good idea, but I work at a grocery store where I'm not in charge of discounts. Plus, we have the cheapest cakes in town. The full sheet she got serves 72-96 and costs, ready?, $34.87.

The way I see it, they're already paying the cheapest price around, no one can beat us. That's enough of a discount.

My brain can't even understand that price! Or her response!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%