Need A Good Strawberry Buttercream

Baking By KristasKakes78 Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm by ZoesMum

KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 11

I have an upcoming wedding cake and the bride would like vanilla cake with strawberry buttercream filling.
Any suggestions for a good strawberry buttercream?
I love my buttercream recipe but find when I add fruit flavor it gets "fake" tasting....Thanks

10 replies
Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 11

What about adding some Lorann oils? Strawberry puree or jam also works well.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:42pm
post #3 of 11

I dice up some fresh strawberries and sugar and salt them, pinch of salt, a 1/3 to 1/2 cup of sugar. Let them macerate for a day or so and then dump the whole thing into my regular BC recipe. I usually have to add a bit more PS to restiffen, but totally works out well and its very yummy.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristasKakes78

I have an upcoming wedding cake and the bride would like vanilla cake with strawberry buttercream filling.
Any suggestions for a good strawberry buttercream?
I love my buttercream recipe but find when I add fruit flavor it gets "fake" tasting....Thanks

Is your BC butter based or Crisco based?
I'm thinking butter based you can use a strawberry puree. I don't know if this will work with a shortening base. I don't have enough experience with Crisco based frostings.

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 11

just replace the liquids in your buttercream recipe with the juice from
2 16oz bags of frozen( once thawed) Strawberries

kerrimanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerrimanda Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 11

I found one that is 1 stick butter, 1 cup Crisco, 4 cups powdered sugar, 1 tbsp meringue powder, 2 tbsp milk, 1 tsp strawberry flavoring. It tastes really good and of course holds up like buttercream should.

KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you all,I love this site! I am going to try adding strawberries to my regular b/c. All the ideas sound great.

kristieanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristieanna Posted 27 May 2010 , 11:24pm
post #8 of 11

I puree strawberries, then strain them in a fine mesh sieve. I add about 1/4 cup of this strained juice to my basic buttercream. It's yummy!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 5 Jun 2010 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 11

I always add strawberry preserves to my regular BC. It has chunks of strawberries in it already. And add some strawberry flavoring.

Cake-O-Rate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-O-Rate Posted 6 Jun 2010 , 12:23am
post #10 of 11

Have you considered using an emulsion verses an extract? I bit stronger but no chemical taste when used the right way. Also, The suggestions on the homemade puree's are awesome. You will have to make use less water in your buttercream recipe to compensate. icon_biggrin.gif

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm
post #11 of 11

These are all such great ideas...love this site...I have a question, and 9/10 the answer is already there!!! Can't wait to try these out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%