1St Cake

Decorating By amarilloyankee Updated 28 May 2010 , 10:22pm by ninatat

amarilloyankee Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 19

Ok this is the 5th cake I have ever made that didn't stay in the pan. I have just started cooking cakes and this was my trial run at a wedding cake I am doing in July. I have never taken a class just reading on here and watching youtube videos.

I am so pleased with how it turned out!! icon_smile.gif but I am sure I could get many pointers from the wonderful ladies here!

It is 12" round all buttercream

The wedding theme is sunflowers, it is going to be 3 cakes on stands so I don't have to stress about stacking them.

Suggestions would be great.

I know my lighter sunflower needs more "dots" in the center icon_sad.gif
LL
LL
LL

18 replies
crystalina1977 Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 19

only the top three photos came out for me---but i think you did an awesome job! isn't this fun?!?! you will do a great job on your wedding cake.

nikinoonie Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 19

I think it's a beautiful cake! I really like how your yellows in the flowers also have orange in them. It makes the petals have more depth. You might want to try the viva paper towel method for smoothing. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it might give it a more polished look.
Excellent cake though! I'm also a newbie at decorating, and tried the viva method on my last cake. It came out really super smooth...I won't go back to the hot knife method anymore.
Good luck on the wedding cakes!

CWR41 Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:28am
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarilloyankee

I'd suggest:
buying gumpaste sunflowers or making them out of royal icing in advance.
piping your leaves first so they're under the sunflowers.
using white buttercream (photo looks like canned frosting).
using a smaller tip for more delicate stems.
using a star-shaped tip for a shell border
(and use white icing instead of green).

dalis4joe Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:34am
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

I'd suggest:

agreed.... excellent advise.... by making the flowers out of royal icing... separate... give them time to dry... then place them of the cake... I think for your first cake it's an amazing cake... but I would not want to tell you that it doesn't need any work.... we know how people become critics specially at weddings and you want your work to be as best as you can make in order to generate more clients....

royal icing or gumpaste.... sunflowers are one of the easiest flowers to do out of gumpaste.... and there are tons of tutorials that can help you...

also the viva method to smooth your cake and give the polish look stated above.... there are videos on you tube that teach you step by step how to do it...

You have the potential.... just by looking at this I can see that you have a good eye for cake art... you just need a little polishing... and that's what we are here for... believe me I get "polishing' all the time here and I always thank them for their honesty....

keep practicing and again... great job!!!

ninatat Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:52am
post #6 of 19

i also think you did a nice job, if you go to u-tube and watch some videos, edna's are great, when i finished my classes i thought oh i know how to do those borders ect, NOT i realized i had to practice a lot, i bought a dummy cake and it really helps, which reminds me i need to get it out and practice. the girls on cc suggested a book i really like by wilton, the uses of the most popular decorating tips, you're well on your way, be sure and visit often, post more pic's ask questions, welcome to cc

mamawrobin Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:14am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

I'd suggest:

I agree with all of the above. I'd also suggest that you level your cakes to get rid of the dome. In my opinion a cake just looks more professional if it's leveled whether it's stacked or not. Find a good buttercream recipe, Indydebi's buttercream taste great and is easy to smooth. I can't stress enough how much better your sunflowers would look if make ahead either with royal icing or gumpaste. I also suggest that you watch some of the tutorials on youtube on smoothing buttercream. Decorations are only part of a well done cake. Starting with a beautlfully iced, level cake is essential. After filling your cakes they need to be given time to settle before crumbcoating and final icing. This will prevent the buldge that you have between layers. Good luck to you, I'm sure you will do a great job on your cake.

tesso Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:22am
post #8 of 19

good job for your first cake...

but if you take the advice on here.. you cakes will soon look like this... This is from my favs.. I love her sunflowers !!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1631873

remember to have fun, and keep practicing.

mamawrobin Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:41am
post #9 of 19

tesso that's a great example thumbs_up.gif

amarilloyankee Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 19

Thank you ladies..I did use a buttercream recipe I got on here. I have never done royal icing before so I might have to try that

I tried to level my cake but my knife went all over the place and yes I used toothpicks to do it level..any tips on leveling? I used a jagged knife and everything ughg!!

So I don't crumb coat after I stack them? I let them settle a bit first?

I did try to do the Viva method but every time I put the paper towel on my cake the buttercream would stick to it arrghh!!! I don't know if it was cause of how humid it was or what? I let it set 45min before trying to smooth it

hsmomma Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 19

I think you did a great job. I think it was a wise decision for your first wedding to start with an unstacked cake and to practice. I think that gives you a good foundation.
I love your sunflowers but, another thing I would suggest is doing them in fondant or gumpaste. They are easy to make (you can order a cutter) and tons of fun!

I know this is going to turn out perfectly for you...you are off to a great start!

amarilloyankee Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:35pm
post #12 of 19

Is there are gumpaste recipe anyone would recommend?

carmijok Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 19

Doesn't sound like you're cooling your cake. I always crumb coat a cold cake and then refrigerate it for 15 or so minutes before starting to add more buttercream. After you smooth your first layer of buttercream on the crumb coat put it back in the fridge and wait again. Your buttercream should be cold and crusted. I've not had settling problems so I'm not sure how to address those. I guess I've been lucky so I'm hoping it holds out! When I bake a cake I let it cool a bit before taking it out of the pan. Then I wrap it tightly in cling wrap and freeze it. I often fill and crumb coat cakes in their frozen state and it thaws slowly in the fridge when I start the icing layers. I've not had bulging problems and I've not had buttercream issues when the cake is delivered and brought to room temp. I know because I've generally always been a guest at the events I've done. Anyway, a cold cake works for me. Until I worked at a bakery and saw that it was how they did it, I was consistently peeling cake off with my icing when I tried to frost cakes. It was a mess. icon_smile.gif

mayo2222 Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:52pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:

Thank you ladies..I did use a buttercream recipe I got on here. I have never done royal icing before so I might have to try that

I tried to level my cake but my knife went all over the place and yes I used toothpicks to do it level..any tips on leveling? I used a jagged knife and everything ughg!!

So I don't crumb coat after I stack them? I let them settle a bit first?

I did try to do the Viva method but every time I put the paper towel on my cake the buttercream would stick to it arrghh!!! I don't know if it was cause of how humid it was or what? I let it set 45min before trying to smooth it

Consider getting a little Wilton leveler, its only a few bucks with a coupon at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc and I find that it works great for smaller cakes.

Did you use a crusting BC recipe? If so, you can quickly check to see if it has crusted over by lightly touching it after about 10 mins (you definitely don't need to wait 45 mins) it shouldn't stick to your finger. My guess is that you had too much Crisco. Try Indydebi's BC recipe http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing.

The sunflowers looked pretty good, you might want to try a thicker consistancy of BC for the flower petals. Gumpaste flowers will look better, just depends what you want to do.

dalis4joe Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:58am
post #15 of 19

this is all new to you and it's a lot (A WHOLE LOT!!) of info to take in... my suggestions aside fom what I posted before...

go to a hobby/craft store...
buy the ready made wilton gumpaste... comes in a small bag...it's like $6 or $8...
buy the daisy cutter set (3 cutters)....
come home and with just those 2 items... go on you tube and search for a daisy/sunflower tutorial (a daisy it's a good starting point...if you can do a daisy as per the vidoes... you WILL do a sunflower easily....)

that will help you with the flowers....

for the cake... a good crusting buttercream... I haven't used indydebi's... but I started out with the wilton crusting buttercream recipe... (wilton.com) it's easy and it will crust... I assure you...
once you bake.... cool... remove from the pan... cover with cling wrap.... fridge overnight....
nest day.... level your cake (use a long serrated knife).... tort... if the toothpick method didn't work.... try using dental floss after putting the toothpicks... you have more control because you are holding both sides of it...
fill you cake (make sure you do a buttercream dam (very thick buttercream)...
put some weight on top (a tile... or the pan you used to bake them in with something kinda heavy inside) then fridge for 4 hours or more (you want to "burp" your cake, take all the air out from your layers)
then go into your crumb coating... let it sit for 10 minutes and touch.... it should be crusted... you don't have to fridge for the cake to crust... you CAN but you don't have to.... then do your regular icing.... when you ice the top... keep going down to eye level withthe cake so you see it if it's not leveled.... (that can take time... at the beginning that would take me hours lol....) when you ice it.... as Edna says... use a lot of BC... it's better to use a lot so you don't disturb your crumb coat... then little by little start removing as you level.... (you can see this on Edna's you tube page)
then, go into your viva towel method..... use a fondant smoother if you have one... if not... use your hands very lightly to smooth the cake...

I hope this helps you.... again... it's a lot of info.... but you kinda aimed super high for your first cake order... I didn't take a wedding cake until 1+ year after I started making cakes, but the fact that it's not stacked... it's a good thing...

anything you need... just come back here... we are always willing to helo no matter how many tries.... we all have been there and we have all overcomed.... you will too...

icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:06am
post #16 of 19

easy leveling:
1. DO NOT under any circumstance waste your $ on any Wilton leveler.
2. After cooling put your cake layer back into the baking pan. Using the top edge of the pan as a guide, lay your long serrated knife against the top edge of the pan and slice across.
3. To torte, take the layer out of the pan. Put cardboard cake circles into the pan until half the height of the cake is raised above the top edge of the pan. (Obviously you would have measured the height of the layer first.) Again, using the top edge of the pan as a guide, lay the knife flat and slice.

j_arney Posted 28 May 2010 , 4:14pm
post #17 of 19

I think with a wedding cake less is more. I did a quick search on sunflower wedding cakes and a TON of pictures came up:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=sunflower+wedding+cake&album=-&search_user=

You could go much more basic (less work for you) and just accent with a few real, fake, or icing sunflowers. Good luck!!

mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:41pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_arney

I think with a wedding cake less is more. I did a quick search on sunflower wedding cakes and a TON of pictures came up:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=sunflower+wedding+cake&album=-&search_user=

You could go much more basic (less work for you) and just accent with a few real, fake, or icing sunflowers. Good luck!!

I totally agree The "decorations" should be used to accent a well structured cake. In my opinion it's not necessarily what goes on a cake but rather the structure of the cake that makes a pretty wedding cake. Does that make sense?

ninatat Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:22pm
post #19 of 19

i like sugar shack it crust's nice and isn't overly sweet, and it has to crust before you viva it. personally i would do the different borders for practice it's a good start, if you are going to try gumpaste or 30/30 fondant and gum paste, i'd started with the rose's and the callalilly's sp first, to get the feel of it. i use the gumpaste recipe on the back of the gum tex can. u
-tube has different way's to make roses, i use the circle method, try different one's to see what works for you, you need a really sharp cerated knife level i chewed up alot of cakes lol, and i also put my hand on the top of the cake when leveling

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%