Cake Scaling For Different Pan Sizes

Baking By rachh925 Updated 26 May 2010 , 7:35pm by KHalstead

rachh925 Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 4

Hi
I use a 4 egg sponge mix for 8inch round cakes (2 layers).

I spent ages working out the volumes of all sized tims from 6inch - 13inch rounds, then scaled my recipe up accordingly. So a 13inch round has a volume 3.5 times that of the 8inch round.

I therefore used a 14 egg mixture (4x3.5) for the 13inch round, but it was no where near enough, I ended up using 20 eggs.

Where have I gone wrong and how can I get my recipe converted for all my pan sizes? I love my recipe and have always had 100% positive feedback so don't want to use any other one!!

Many thanks!

Rachel

3 replies
KHalstead Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 4

The easiest and most fail safe way is to pour water into your cake pan to the level that you would normally fill it with cake batter. Then measure the water and see how many cups you've got. Find out how many cups of batter each of your recipes makes and then you'll know how many batches you need for that tin!

Once you figure out the measurements right it all down and tape it up where you mix your cakes!

rachh925 Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks KHalstead the problem I have is my pans are loose bottomed so the water doesn't stay in them for long enough to measure it all!!

KHalstead Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 4

wrap the pan in aluminum foil

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%