Cake Bases

Business By tootie0809 Updated 26 May 2010 , 9:23pm by JanH

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 6

Okay, apparently my thread on the plexiglass cake bases got moved, but I'd really like to ask and discuss this only with those in the cake business, so I'm going to make a new thread.

I asked about plexiglass cake bases last week because one of the venues I work with wants the cakes brought in on something "you can see through." So I've checked into it, and it's an expense I just don't want to put the money out on right now. I told them I'd try to bring in the cakes on as small of wood bases as I can so very little edge shows. Now they're saying wood bases are as "sanitary issue." Um, I don't put the cake directly on the wood! I always cover it in contact paper, then cover it again in either decorative food safe foil or with a good thick layer of fondant before I put the cake on it. I've never heard that putting a cake on a wood board covered in something safe is unsanitary.

I'd like to know what many of you use for your bases. I love the wood boards because they are very strong and I don't have to worry about any give or bend when moving a fully assembled cake that could cause it to crack. What do you use?

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 6

I use cake drums. Either silver or white. They're very lightweight but very strong.

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 6

Slightly off-topic, but maybe some of us who aren't in 'the business' yet would like to learn how to deal with this, too. Someday, we may get to have our own bakery/shop.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 6

I've never heard of a "venue" telling you what kind of equipment you can use.....

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 6

Wendl, I wasn't trying to exclude anyone. I just wanted to get opinions directly from those who are currently in the business and work with venues. Of course, this business forum is open to anyone, so there's nothing stopping someone not in the business from reading and learning from what is said on here.

Yeah, this is the only venue I work with that has had any opinion or issue with what I use to bring my cakes in on. I have a couple others I work with regularly and they have never said anything about this. However, this particular venue gets me a lot of business, probably 25-30% of my orders are from them, so I do want to make them happy if I can.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 6

Please also see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

A venue I deal with is requesting that I bring my cakes in on "clear or Plexiglass" cake boards. Does anyone have any idea where I could get something like that?

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-681341-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%