CakeDiva70 Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #1 of

This used to not be a problem for me. Now all of a sudden my cupcakes are flat. I bake all my cakes/cupcakes at 350 degrees, so why is it changing now. I just don't understand why my cupcakes are going flat and not having the dome look. Any info would be much appreciated...thanks

CakeDiva70

15 replies
Edit Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:07pm
post #2 of

How old is your baking powder?

LindaF144a Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:32pm
post #3 of

Same or different recipe?

fsinger84 Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:24pm
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edit

Thanks for the reminder, I think i might need some new bp myself.

CakeDiva70 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 5:07pm
post #5 of

This is a doctored recipe, so I stopped using it because the cake was overflowing. So maybe I will start using it again for the cupcakes. Thanks!

poohsmomma Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 6:28pm
post #6 of

I read on a cc thread to start baking the cupcakes at 400 for about 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325 for the remainder of the time. I do this, and the ccs dome perfectly. HTH

pankake Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 4:47am
post #7 of

check out this journal. I used her advice and I got fabulous size domes. Although they domed to the side I got advice from ther CC'ers and they said to rotate the cupcakes half way though baking.

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/cupcake-decorating-part-2

sexy_baker Posted 4 Jun 2010 , 3:11pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edit

Well I guess that might be one of the problems why you don't get the same result that you wanted. Buy a new one! thumbs_up.gif

Domestic_Sugar Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #9 of

Three tips:

1. For a dome, you need to make sure the batter is light. Always blend things together ONLY AS MUCH AS NEEDED. Over mixing will result in a dense cupcake.

2. Whipping the butter and sugar until it is fluffy is a great way to get a light cuppie.

3. DO NOT open the oven until you are sure they are close to being done. Cupcakes are tempermental, and like constant heat (or the 400-350 works too). Just don't let the breeze in!

GinnyK Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:10pm

How long has it been since you tested the temperature of your oven? I started getting weird results on my cupcakes and couldn't figure it out -- I had an oven thermometer and everything. Well, it was an OLD oven thermometer and had stopped working properly, and the oven, also old, had gotten 'off,' and when I fixed that, I fixed my cupcakes.

auntginn Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm

I once read that if you let your batter sit a few minutes before popping into the oven it would dome well. I've done it since and it works everytime.

sherry-o Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 11:07pm

Interesting. What is a few minutes?? Two, three, five???

thin4life Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:12am
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I read on a cc thread to start baking the cupcakes at 400 for about 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 325 for the remainder of the time. I do this, and the ccs dome perfectly. HTH

I tried this with Paula Deen's red velvet cupcake recipe and I got a nice domed cupcake. It worked fabulous!

lisamaria Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 12:29pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

I once read that if you let your batter sit a few minutes before popping into the oven it would dome well. I've done it since and it works everytime.

So true....and this actually happened by accident for me! I had some batter left over and sitting in my pan while the others were baking. The first batch didn't have a dome, but the last batch all puffed up into a dome (the batter that sat)...so this totally works!!!!

LindaF144a Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:59pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntginn

So true....and this actually happened by accident for me! I had some batter left over and sitting in my pan while the others were baking. The first batch didn't have a dome, but the last batch all puffed up into a dome (the batter that sat)...so this totally works!!!!

This worked for me today also. I also find that the ones that sit out bake faster than the first batch. Can't figure that one out.

quilting2011 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 2:49am

How do you get that perfect cupcake swirl. What tip do you use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%