Delivery 90 Minutes Away....do You Do It?

Business By 1234me Updated 27 May 2010 , 4:06pm by leah_s

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 14

I got a request today for a bride and groom's cake and the location is 90 minutes away. So that means 3 hours round trip. I do charge for delivery but usually only like to deliver in locations that are close. I wouldn't even begin to know what to charge for this - I can't help but think of how many orders I could get done during that three hour time. The town the wedding will be located in is a larger city so I know the bride could probably find someone closer to the venue. Thoughts??!!??

13 replies
moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 14

Well, I understand your feelings about not wanting to travel that distance - I have done it and really don't like it; however, I charge the federal mileage rate which is 50 cents per mile for a round trip. Determine how many miles round trip you have to travel and multiply it by .50. Now if the wedding cake is a large order cake, I would not charge a delivery - if it is a short distance from me. But a 180 minute round-trip drive is no joke - especially when the first part of the trip is carting a cake, so you charge the delivery fee. 1 of 2 things will happen, the bride and groom will understand the distance and still want you to do their cake and pay the fee or they will find the fee high and go to someone more local to them. Give them the choice.

Terri05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri05 Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 14

I wouldn't do it, not only is it a waste of your time, but if the vibration and bumps of the trip ruin the cake, your liable. Maybe you can suggest a delivery service for them to call?

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 14

I charge a $50 delivery and set-up fee for any venue within 25 miles of my house. After that it's an additional $1 per mile.

If your concern is what you could be doing during the time you are delivering then charge enough to make it worth your while. If they have a problem then suggest they find a baker closer to their venue.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 14

What a compliment! Maybe they just love your stuff and want YOU to do it.

Quote a fair charge- the 50 cents a mile is just for gas and wear and tear on the car PLUS your hourly rate for your time driving. If they want it, they will pay it....

Isn't it Sylvia W that travels by plane with hers and buys a extra seat? I guess you are as good as Sylvia! thumbs_up.gif

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 14

I travel many miles for all of my cake deliveries (one of the things you live with when you live in the middle of Oklahoma and love to make cakes so much that you make it your life's work)--Charge accordingly and the clients will either take it or leave it! Whatever your charge though, please feel no guilt about charging it icon_smile.gif! Time IS money! Make sure you use a fabulous support system (SPS)!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:06pm
post #7 of 14

I charge $1.25 per mile ROUND TRIP, 'cause yaknow, ya gotta get home. But that's only in theory because i can't don't deliver that far. it would knock me out of another cake that same day, so actually they'd have to pay the average cost of a wedding cake that I wouldn't get to do. $450 delivery fee. plus the cost of the cake, of course.

50 cents a mile is completely ridiculous You're not charging the IRS reimbursement rate. You're charging for your TIME and EXPERTISE in knowing how to transport cake.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 14

I offer free delivery within a 20 mile radius of my location. After that, it's $3 per mile roundtrip, for exactly the reason you state. The time I spend driving is time I am not working on another cake.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 14

I also do free delivery within 25 miles of the kitchen but I charge 50 cents a mile for longer deliveries. Most Brides don't bat an eye. I have 3 such deliveries to San Jose this summer..each way 124 miles...and none of the clients had any problem with paying the delivery charge. Yes, they could have gotten someone closer but each said it was my cakes that made the extra expense worth it. In fact, thanks to the profit on those cakes I'm able to buy a Cake Safe this summer so deliveries should be much easier than they were for the cakes I delivered last summer!

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:43pm
post #10 of 14

I guess I should add that I charge delivery $$ for every delivery--and I'm 7 miles from my nearest potential delivery icon_smile.gif! If I have several deliveries in the same town/neighborhood, I do let the clients "share" the delivery fees. I charge $1/mile round trip.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 14

I charge $1/mile round trip. Assuming your 90 minute drive is highway driving at an average speed of 60mph, that's about 90 miles away. So $180 total at my prices for the delivery...would that make up for the 3 hours away from your shop for you?
I'd be okay with it personally, but I just opened 2 weeks ago and have only done pickups thus far. My views may change. icon_wink.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:43am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I charge $1.25 per mile ROUND TRIP, 'cause yaknow, ya gotta get home.

Me, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

50 cents a mile is completely ridiculous You're not charging the IRS reimbursement rate. You're charging for your TIME and EXPERTISE in knowing how to transport cake.

AB-SO-FREAKIN'-LUTELY!!! I really wish people would stop thinking that the IRS REIMBURSEMENT rate is all that you are "allowed" to charge. I see this over and over and over on here and it is very frustrating that people undercharge for their service.

And a delivered cake is a SERVICE that is provided; and it is reasonable and fair to charge a legitimate fee for a SERVICE that you provide .... not a lousy 50 cent reimbursement fee that doesn't cover all of your vehicle expenses, insurance expenses, labor expenses for whoever is driving, and lost opportunity costs while you are on the road.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:48pm
post #13 of 14

If you are in a 5 mile radius (10 miles round trip) your delivery is free, if not then I charge $1 per mile round trip so if you are 25 miles from me that is 50 miles round trip so your delivery fee is $50. 90 minutes away could be 90 miles from you or 70 miles depending on the speed limits and road conditions along the way. So see how many miles the venue is from your location multiply that by 2 for the round trip and multiply that by the amount of money you want to charge per mile and that is what you charge them. If they are willing to pay it cool, do the cake. If you have a good support system in the cake you shouldn't have any problems transporting it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:06pm
post #14 of 14

[quote="Mencked"]I guess I should add that I charge delivery $$ for every delivery--and I'm 7 miles from my nearest potential delivery icon_smile.gif! If I have several deliveries in the same town/neighborhood, I do let the clients "share" the delivery fees. I charge $1/mile round trip.[/quote]

Heck, I'm quite literally across the street from one venue and I charge $40 to deliver there. I still have to pick up the cake, throw it in the back of the truck and drive around the corner, get it out of the back of the truck, carry it down a half flight of steps and set it up at the venue.

And I NEVER, EVER let brides share delivery charges. NEEEEEEEEEVER! I love it when I've got two cakes in different rooms at almost the same time at the same venue. Double $ for me.

Delivery charges are a profit center for me. Other than the venue across the street, my basic delivery charge is $50. Don't want to pay it? OK, pick it up yourself. That puts an end to the conversation.

I still have a bit of a headache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%