Memorial Day Cakes- Please Help With Ideas

Decorating By sberryp Updated 27 May 2010 , 3:17pm by sberryp

sberryp Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 9

I am going to make a cake for a party that I am having this weekend and I wanted to show off my skills, but I really to do not have any ideas for memorial day. Thanks in advance.

8 replies
kerrimanda Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:32pm
post #2 of 9

Search memorial day or flags and you will find some very cute inspirations.

BeanCountingBaker Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 9

Flags and Flowers

marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 9

Flags on sides.... picnic blanket on top with a picnic spread out on it..... maybe a stream of ants.... lemonade, fried chicken, deviled eggs, watermelon.....

crystalina1977 Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 9

yes, the picnic idea is cute, or a bbq cake...personally i would go with a flag and stars, maybe drape a flag over a cake and put gumpaste stars on wires coming out...

sberryp Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:50am
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the replies! I was thinking about the stars and strips, but my hubby was like nope. lol I really love the picnic idea.

hollyml Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:37am
post #7 of 9

Do you want something that relates to the patriotic basis of Memorial Day, or is your party more of a "first weekend of summer" kind of thing? And when you say you want to show off your skills, well, what are your skills? Carving/sculpting cake? Piping and buttercream flowers? Gumpaste modeling? icon_smile.gif

If you want something that's more just a summertime theme, there are lots of good "picnic" cake options, or you could go with a sun, a swimming pool or beach, a gardening or "summer fruits" thing, butterflies, maybe something with a green lawn and kids' backyard fort or play equipment....

carmijok Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:03am
post #8 of 9

In keeping with a summer theme and picnics and such why not flip flops? In patriotic colors? (blue soles, red straps and a white star on the toe part?) Just a thought! icon_biggrin.gif

sberryp Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

In keeping with a summer theme and picnics and such why not flip flops? In patriotic colors? (blue soles, red straps and a white star on the toe part?) Just a thought! icon_biggrin.gif

I love the flip flops idea! I think I am going to use it. I am new to baking and willing to try anything so when I say show off my skills, I just mean that I am able to make a great tasting, nice looking cake. lol icon_biggrin.gif I was alos thinking of changing the party to an anniversery party because our 2nd year anniversery was this week. What do you think?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%