Cheapest Route To Making A Jack Daniels Silicone Mold?

Decorating By J1977 Updated 28 May 2010 , 4:39pm by respectablecakes

J1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J1977 Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 12

Does anyone know if these mold kits are sold at Michaels or at a good price on the internet? I added up what I needed for this project and at one site online it was almost $200 and I'm not sure how many times I'd actually use this mold.

THA.

11 replies
respectablecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
respectablecakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 12

if you need a mold to bake a cake in i dont know but a mold to do sugar and that is good i would say amazing mold putty its 20.00 at hobby lobby alil more on the net but its made to do food in and its real good im using it for my fathers day cooler cake and im using it for the beer bottles.

J1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J1977 Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:05am
post #3 of 12

Very nice - $20 sounds like a bargain especially if I mess up I can afford to give it a secong try.

Thanks for the info!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:14am
post #4 of 12

We ought to start a mold trading site on CC since I bet plenty of people have to make molds like you need but then don't need to keep them - they are so expensive to make!

respectablecakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 12

I agree but that amazing mold has to be perfect so it wont tear so u can reuse it again to make more of the same mold i finally just got one perfect it took me about 5 try's but u'll just got to work with it. I did it with a beer bottle and the mold has to be 1/8 thick so it still has the flexibility and enough to hold its shape but i never tried it with a bigger bottle yet. I hope this helps, I think michaels might have them there but i know hoppy lobby as it or u could go to amazing mold putty website.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 12

One thing to think about with trying to form a larger mold with the Amazing Mold Putty is the "working time" you have to shape the mold before the product sets up (sorry, don't know the technical terms here icon_redface.gif ). You have a very short time to play with Amazing Putty - it sets up very quickly. Large molds are almost impossible. The product that Chef Dominic sells is not much more expensive when you figure the same quantity but is faaaaaar superior. You have a much longer play time, and you can even add layers to his product. Can't do that with Amazing Mold Putty - it doesn't bond to itself very well once cured.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 12

Do you want to make a sugar bottle?
You should read the sugar beer bottles threads here.
Another option would be to use a latex mold (assuming no one is allergic to latex). You can purchase Mold Builder @ Hobby Lobby for $12.99 (full price). It's basically a liquid latex that you apply in layers. You do have to allow the layers to dry in btw coats. There's a youtube video that shows how to make a latex beer bottle mold.
Chef Dominic also has a how to article on CC that demonstrates his product.
Just do a little research to see how much you (your client) want to invest in making the mold & do a practice run. I made a beer bottle cake a few wks ago using the latex mold builder and it wasn't that difficult. I've never worked with sugar before this. I have a pic in my photos.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 12

I purchase Amazing Mold putty to make a silicone mold of tree bark for a wedding cake. I bought it at Michaels. It costs 19.99 but you can do a search for printable Michaels coupons and save 40% so it cost me 12.99.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 12

I have used both Molds products and or the price I would definitively go for
Dominic's product. Not only gives you more time to play with the product, but the quality of it is much better.
Edna icon_smile.gif

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:25pm
post #10 of 12

Respectablecakes- Would love to see your Father's day cooler cake when your finished. :^)

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:57am
post #11 of 12

I bet if you tried to sell the mold from Dominic's silicon after you are done with the cake you will find a taker. Try it on ebay...

respectablecakes Posted 28 May 2010 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 12

can i get some advice I dont know if my cake is going to stay together, im using a 13*9 pan and 4 layers put rods and the board between the 2 and 3 layer i'm gonna put at least 6 rods in the cake b/c im gonna cut alittle out of the 4 layer to make it look like the bottles r in the cooler but i dont know if that will hold up together?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%