Starting A Small Business..

Business By emrldsky Updated 29 May 2010 , 12:26am by emrldsky

emrldsky Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:52pm
post #1 of 15

And the name is officially....

A Case for Cake, LLC icon_biggrin.gif

I know I don't "need" the business end of things like this to sell at farmers markets here in Indiana, but I just feel...professional doing it. I figure that I can gain clients and take preorders (allowed by HEA 1309 in Indiana), but function as a full business.

I'm hoping that this will make things easier for me, and help keep finances separate. I'm also getting liability insurance (not sure the terms, but since I'm starting small, and not selling hazardous foods, I'm sure it'll be enough) for $245/year.

I've been quiet, not asking too many questions on here, because I wanted to do it, and figure things out, for my own in a way. I did meet with the Indiana small business development center, so I know I'm going about things the right way. I'm working with a woman there on my business plan.

And for anyone wondering about the name...my last name is Case. icon_smile.gif

14 replies
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 15

Hi emrldsky! I'm very happy for you! Best wishes for much success to you!!! thumbs_up.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:04pm
post #3 of 15

good luck

mbark Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 15

super cute. If I ever start my cake business it will be Auntie Mia Cakes, my name is Maria and my 2 year old niece calls me "Mia" and it melts my heart everytime.

emrldsky Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks everyone! I'm stopping by the insurance place today to finalize the paperwork for liability insurance (required by the local farmers market here).

iamcakin Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 15

thumbs_up.gif love the name!

adamsmom Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 15

emrldsky - where in Indiana are you? I'm in Indiana as well and am selling at a local Farmer's Market for the first time. My business name is "Cupcake Fanatic", which is pretty fitting for me icon_smile.gif I live around the Lafayette/Crawfordsville area. Best wishes with it all and I hope that you sell out at the market!!!

emrldsky Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsmom

emrldsky - where in Indiana are you? I'm in Indiana as well and am selling at a local Farmer's Market for the first time. My business name is "Cupcake Fanatic", which is pretty fitting for me icon_smile.gif I live around the Lafayette/Crawfordsville area. Best wishes with it all and I hope that you sell out at the market!!!

I'm in W. Lafayette. icon_smile.gif I'm hoping pre-orders will make the bulk of things. Is that how you're doing it, or just focusing on selling item-by-item?

Oh, and adorable name!! icon_biggrin.gif

adamsmom Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks emrldsky! I work in W.Lafayette and actually graduated from Harrison H.S.! Currently I am selling item by item and I am packaging as follows: 6-pk cupcakes, 2-pk cupcakes, 1-pk cupcake, 1/2 dozen cupcake bites (cake balls).

I am planning on making ~120 cupcakes total for this weekend, but a little nervous to bake that much. I did sell out at the May 15th market with a little over 60 cupcakes, so I should do ok since the weather is looking to be nice.

I am offering vanilla and chocolate cupcake flavors every week and then a specialty flavor that changes from week to week. I am advertising that I can take orders and deliver to the Farmer's Market or they make pick it up at my house (via a roadside stand).

I do have a wedding cake to do in the middle of June, my first!!!! Need to practice a few more times to get my BC icing looking up to par, but feel pretty confident.

Very cool that we live close to one another. Maybe we could meet up sometime to chit chat icon_smile.gif Sorry for going on and on......just nice to see someone else in the area doing this also!

emrldsky Posted 27 May 2010 , 9:02pm
post #10 of 15

Got my liability insurance certificate today! Except for the marketing pieces, I'm ready to go!

I have a good friend of mine who does graphic design and such for a living, giving me an excellent deal on logo, business card, stationary, envelope, Web page, etc.

Another friend already registered my domain name and started hosting for me (for $10/month, with him being my technical support).

I'm so excited!!!

iamcakin Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 15

How exciting...I can almost see your little duckies all lined up back there!

If you don't mind sharing, what are you having to pay for liability ins., and how much are you carrying?

I know the rates will vary, (I'm in GA), but I'm curious.

Thanks, and congratulations

icon_smile.gif

emrldsky Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:21pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcakin

If you don't mind sharing, what are you having to pay for liability ins., and how much are you carrying?

icon_smile.gif

Thanks! I'm paying $243/year and the coverage is:

Each occurrence: $1,000,000
Damage to rented premises: $100,000
Med exp: $5,000
Personal & Adv Injury: $1,000,000
General Aggregate: $2,000,000
Products - Comp/Op Agg: $2,000,000

It's listed as commercial general liability, but I'm fairly low-risk. Good luck!

iamcakin Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:28pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcakin

icon_smile.gif

Thanks! I'm paying $243/year and the coverage is:

Each occurrence: $1,000,000
Damage to rented premises: $100,000
Med exp: $5,000
Personal & Adv Injury: $1,000,000
General Aggregate: $2,000,000
Products - Comp/Op Agg: $2,000,000

It's listed as commercial general liability, but I'm fairly low-risk. Good luck!

I'm paying $428 for about the same coverage from Safeco. It was difficult to find a company that would write a policy for catering.

Best wishes for your new venture thumbs_up.gif

JanH Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:24am
post #14 of 15

Congrats emrldsky. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

party.gifbirthday.gif You Rule birthday.gifparty.gif

emrldsky Posted 29 May 2010 , 12:26am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Congrats emrldsky. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

party.gifbirthday.gif You Rule birthday.gifparty.gif

Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

I truly was inspired to do things the RIGHT way because of everyone on here!

Couldn't have done it without my friendly cake central addicts! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%