Never Lives Up To My Vision

Decorating By jayne1873 Updated 27 May 2010 , 1:24pm by floral1210

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 22

Anyone else ever feel like this. I have a vision of what I want the cake to look like and once I have made it it never is quite the same as what I imaged. If I didnt just love making cakes it could quite put me off!

21 replies
floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 22

I know exactly what you mean! My cakes are never as flawless as I imagine them to be, never as grand, and to me, never as beautiful as my mind's eye saw them! In addition, the procedure is never as easy or uncomlicated as I think it should be...but like you, I love doing it!

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 22

Yes, I know that feeling very well. But I try not to be too hard on myself and I hope you will do the same. Usually I have a plan, but something doesn't work exactly right so I make adjustments and go with plan B, then C, etc. But in the end, it may be different from what I expected but usually no one else knows and they are complimentary. I just try to use each experience as a learning opportunity and keep on trying. My motto is "Something is better than nothing; always strive for more!". I recently spent 2 weeks working on a cake which included modeling small animals to go into a basket cake, making a sugar vase and flowers, a pencil holder and pens and pencils to go into it. It got rave reviews at the teacher's retirement party but when I posted it here, it only got a few views and 2 comments. Oh well, we do it because we love it!

j_arney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_arney Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 22

I'm definitely in the same boat. I'm not very creative, so I'll frequently use other cakes as inspiration. Then I'm depressed when they don't look as good as the original. I think I'm just not patient enough to make every little thing perfect. Who knows, maybe I need more lessons. If only there was a class on the little details icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 22

We are our worst critics. at some point you will start loving your own work as much as other people do.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tmac670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmac670 Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 22

I feel the same way-- In my mind's eye the design is flawless-- but in actuality- I am not experienced enough to make it that way. All I can hope to do is learn and improve my skills on each cake I make and use that experience to improve my next cake. Maybe one day I will be there- but it's not today- won't be tomorrow either.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 22

I can relate to this, too. It was always happening to me. But, strangely enough, in the last two or three cakes I've made, the results were just what I wanted. In fact, I was just commenting about this to the woman who has taught me most of what I know about decorating. I guess it just shows what a whole lot of practice can do. Not that it won't ever happen again, so I can't get too cocky about it, but it's a great feeling to know that once in a while you can do exactly what you wanted to. It gives you enough confidence to try to do more.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 22

It seems the more I plan and draw, the less like my vision the cake becomes. Those cakes I "throw together" work out best. I probably just think that because I don't have so much time invested in them.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 22

Every single cake I've made, basically.

The only exception were the "Mocha Mugcakes" I made for my sister for Mothers Day.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1669471
She's 7 months pregnant and struggling to put on the weight her doctor is recommending - no one told her body that morning sickness is supposed to stop early on. She's a coffee FIEND so I used decaf to make her up something nice and fattening. These came out EXACTLY how I'd pictured them in my mind, maybe even a little better.

My not-as-envisioned cakes really only keep me angry for a little while, though. The people I make them for, whether family or paying customer, have been thrilled with the results, and I just remind myself that THEY don't know what my vision was originally. If they're happy with the outcome then I'm happy with it. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #10 of 22

Sometimes I'm pleased with my results and sometimes I'm not. I just enjoy decorating and if I ever create that "wow" cake I'm plastering a photo of that sucker EVERYWHERE icon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 22

I'm a planner and often find myself walking myself thru each step of the cake the night before<G> and most of the time I'm "happy" with the cake I turn out but there are always things I'd wish I could do better or fix. However one of the things I have learned is to go a bit lighter on myself, to understand that I'm dealing with a medium that fluxuates...its Cake! It moves and tilts and shifts and I have to give myself leeway for that. So about 5% of the time I'm perfectly happy with my cakes but the other 95% of the time I'm looking at the flaws (which no one but me sees) and figuring out how I could do it better! LOL!

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:10pm
post #12 of 22

listen to tonedna - the lady knows what she's talking about...

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:12pm
post #13 of 22

like Edna said.... we r our own worst critic and if we know there is a flaw... even if it's inside the cake or under a flower or under the cake drum for that matter... in our heads... that's what people are looking at... it's rewarding when you deliver the cake and hear all the wow's and ahhh's and ooohhh's and you do feel good.. but I know the feeling all too well....

Now if DH comes in and just goes GA GA over a cake I am working on... then I feel like I have a master piece... because he will not let anything pass without pointing it out to me... he acts like he is Ron Ben... lol like he is just THE PRO at caking... BUT I like that cause he keeps me on my toes and I don't ever want to get sloopy...

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:15pm
post #14 of 22

I know what y'all are all saying - same thing here. I recently saw Michelle Bommarito do a demo and one of the things she said that stuck with me is that "the cake will tell you how it wants to be decorated"! I thought that phrase perfectly describes my cake decorating experiences (i.e., didn't plan on a flower there but when my finger poked a hole in the fondant - voila - flower!)

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:55pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

listen to tonedna - the lady knows what she's talking about...

icon_lol.gif Well, it has happened to me too..lol
I had cakes I don't love and people go crazy about them..You never know!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:07am
post #16 of 22

Remember, the decorator is looking at the cake 12 inches away for hours, and sometimes days on end. Yes, you will see every flaw the cake has. The final product will be viewed from several feet away for a few seconds, so don't sweat it. And if life gives you lemons, make granita!! What I mean by that is if you look in my pix, I did Megan's wedding cake (the black and white one) and I ran out of roses for the topper, so I wrapped black ribbon around the base and extended the look, which I think looks better than the original design. Who's to know??? I have another picture of chocolate and Vanilla cupcakes with pink flowers -- which was supposed to be similar to an old bakery sign with pink frosting and pink flowers, but I couldn't get the pink buttercream and the pink fondant to match, so we stayed with the pink fondant flowers against neutral colors and they looked great. So don't sweat it, roll with the punches! icon_biggrin.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:32am
post #17 of 22

As mamawrobin said...Sometimes I'm pleased with my results and sometimes I'm not. I just enjoy decorating.

If this was a business for me...I would really be tormented by any flaws.
The thought of ruining someone's wedding cake (in particular) makes me ill.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:56am
post #18 of 22

Me too. I don't think I have ever made a plan and followed it all the way through. It seems like I always change something. I also have decided several times that I am not going to make any more cakes because I think they are so bad but I keep coming back!

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:13am
post #19 of 22

My biggest problem is I look at it, look at it and think Idid great, then I take my pictures, load them on the computer and cry because of how it looks. LOL

silly I know, but I've even started finishing the cakes, taking the pics, then coming in and pouring over them, trying to find all the mistakes, going back and fixing the cake.

My sons hunting cake I redid 4 times. I was late for his party redoing it. and still saw so much once I loaded the pics. Its heartbreaking knowing how hard I worked then I find it is so lacking after I deem it perfect.

most times myhusband has to make me walk away.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:22am
post #20 of 22

Chellebyerly: Lately what goes through my mind is: I wish my son would photoshop this picture for me. I look at the picture and think, "It wasn't that bad in person, I swear!"

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:59am
post #21 of 22

im still waiting for that one illusive cake that will live up to the picture in my head... haha

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:24pm
post #22 of 22

Chellebyerly, that is exactly my problem...the pictures! I LOVE the cake when it is done, and everyone ooh's and aah's over it. I feel very proud, but when I see photos, I realize how much talent is really lacking. My friends, family, etc. feed my addiction by saying how great it is, but the photos don't lie. Perfection is still VERY far from reach! That being said, however, I am not whining...I really am striving to get better. Hence, I spend 5 hours a day here on CC! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%