Instructions For A Pirate Ship Cake? Anyone? Help!!! :)

Decorating By lm499 Updated 27 May 2010 , 12:03am by Sassy74

lm499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lm499 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 12

My son has a birthday party saturday and I need prepare for his cake! It's a pirate party and I haven't found any good instructions or pictures of instructions!!!! Please Help!!!

11 replies
braggmama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
braggmama2 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 12

Depends on how fancy you want to get. I made one several years ago for my son and it was fairly simple. It's in my photos. Basically, you bake two 8" layers. Cut each layer into a half circle. Line them up to form the main part of the ship and frost between each piece to hold them together. You will need to cut a piece off the bottom so the cake will not roll forward or backward. I frosted the cake with chocolate buttercream and made designs in the frosting to simulate wood. I made the sails out of paper and wooden skewers. I also added swirls of piped whipped cream around the bottom of the boat and sprayed it with a bit of blue Wilton spray food coloring for the water. Not the most complex pirate cake but quick and the kids loved it. Best of luck this weekend!

kclovesken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kclovesken Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 12

If you google pirate cake the first link is to a site that has a ton of pictures and ideas. Most of them have an instruction guide.

Its on coolest birthday cakes .com.........Some are fancy and some are still very nice but a bit easier. That site was the reason I started doing cakes icon_razz.gif I found one that someone that never ever decorated cakes can do as well as some like I said that are more complex.

HTH

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 12

The 2010 Wilton Yearbook features a pirate ship on the cover and Wilton's website has the complete instructions for it. I had a lot of fun making one, but used some oval pans and only made one pirate (cute, but they are time consuming)...

respectablecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
respectablecakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 12

I would say just stack the cakes then cut it out like a pirate shape then have a rod for the sail. Have the icing or fondant on the boat and take something to make wood sidings on it and spray it with a brown edible spray. Make little pirates out of fondant and make sure u have the flag on the sail.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 12

I did one and stacked a 9x13 cut in half. then carved the shape and added a bit more cake on top. I marbled some brown fondant for boards, cut long rectangles and applied to the sides of the cake. DO USE BROWN FROSTING UNDERNEATH if you are going to plank the ship!!! See my pictures to see why! icon_biggrin.gif lesson learned! LOL

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 12

I also saw the Wilton book with one pirate themed cake.... that can be a good starting point....

lm499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lm499 Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks to everyone who responded. You guys are lifesavers!!!! I will use the tips and ideas!!!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:33pm
post #9 of 12

Me too - I just did the Wilton Pirate cake with oval shaped pan. It is time consuming though. The masts are a bit of a challenge. Here is a picture of mine.
LL

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 12

Oh that's great icon_eek.gif Love the photo on the sail! Makes the one I made look like a Tom Sawyer raft icon_lol.gif

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:03am
post #12 of 12

Debbie Brown's "Enchanted Cakes" has a sunken ship that can be used as a pirate ship. I followed her instructions for a pirate ship and it came out great...instructions were very easy to understand and follow. If you can maybe find it at a bookstore/library, it would prolly help. Hope it comes out great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%