Help I Going Buttercream Crazy

Decorating By barnes113 Updated 29 May 2010 , 9:07pm by sweettreat101

barnes113 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 14

I'm new to baking and have my first cake due for 200ppl on sat, my problem is i'm in pa and it's be reallyyyyyy hot and humid lately and i the client wants buttercream no fondant at all, my question is, is there a really good buttercream recipe that crust well and also tastes good.

I saw Indydebi's recipe but it calls for Dream Whip and i have none and search everywere does anyone know any good subs, and also i see some recipes that call for flour and then some for meringue powder. icon_cry.gif

Then i dont know how it should be stored, i made it and it seems to have broken, do i have to freeze it lol i'm going buttercream crazy.

As u can see i really need help thats in advance for any advice.

13 replies
msulli10 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 14

Sugarshack's buttercream is the one I use exclusively.

iamcakin Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

Sugarshack's buttercream is the one I use exclusively.

Ditto - her recipe, her technique.
It holds up in Georgia heat and humidity for hours thumbs_up.gif .

barnes113 Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 14

does anyone have a recipe for it and what about wilton bc recipe is that any good. as far has holding up to hot temp

iamcakin Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnes113

does anyone have a recipe for it and what about wilton bc recipe is that any good. as far has holding up to hot temp

Sharon's recipe is in the recipe section here. I don't know about it holding up, but I think the Wilton recipe tastes terrible. You may get other opinions.

I hope you don't take offense to this, as none is intended, but I can't help but wonder...you say you are new to baking, but have a cake due this Saturday for 200. What kind of cake is it? It's really late in the game to start researching BC recipes, and a cake job of that size is really ambitious for a first order.

barnes113 Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:10am
post #6 of 14

i have done buttercream and fondant cakes before, i just havent found on that i really like on that has held up, i'm doing a baby block cake and a carriage cake.

mbark Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:32am
post #7 of 14

I love SugarShack's recipe as well & all her ingredients are able to be found in grocery stores.

KayMc Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:34am
post #8 of 14

I don't know where in PA you are, but the Giant stores in central PA carry Dream Whip.

JanH Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:40am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

I love SugarShack's recipe as well & all her ingredients are able to be found in grocery stores.

SugarShack's b/c uses Sweetex (hi-ratio) shortening which isn't carried in grocery stores - but is found in cake decorating, restaurant supply stores or special ordered from GFS (Gordon Food Service) or online. icon_smile.gif

Link to SugarShack's b/c recipe (for different size batches):

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/?s=sugarshack

HTH

mbark Posted 29 May 2010 , 2:45am
post #10 of 14

sorry, I was thinking besides the high-ratio shortening.

mamawrobin Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:42am
post #11 of 14

I use Indydebi's recipe. It holds up very well to the heat and humidity. It was 95 degrees here yesterday and the cake that I made for the end of school celebration held up great.

I'm sure Sugarshack's is great as well but I've never tried it. Actually any all shortening based buttercream would probably hold up to heat & humidity. Shortening has a much higher melting point than butter.

2txmedics Posted 29 May 2010 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 14

I had the same problem, until I tried Indys, OMG!!!! I have even bumped the cake after its done, and not a dent in it...lol, Ive put it out in the heat of upper 90s and humidity high...still good....it crust every good and hard, and yet keeps the cake soft and moist and Ive gotten excellent reviews for her BC, that it taste wonderful!!!!

THANKS INDY!!!!!!!

I found Dream whip at Walmart, Krogers, Randalls, Food town all in the jello or suar aisles...very top shelf, of course where I cant reach, Im 4'9 1/2"....lol

punkyf Posted 29 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #13 of 14

I really like Sugarshack's BC but it is so hard to get the Hi Ratio shortening. They won't ship it to FL in the summer and it is expensive. There are no supply stores in my area anymore so I am going to try Indidideby's BC this week. I hope I like it.

sweettreat101 Posted 29 May 2010 , 9:07pm
post #14 of 14

I got this recipe from a cake decorator in Maryland. It is the only one I use. It is a crusting icing and holds up well in humidity and heat. 2 pounds powdered sugar, 1 1/2 cups hi ratio shortening, 1 stick salted butter, 2 tablespoons clear vanilla, 1/3 cup water. Whip for 5 to 7 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%