Sigh...tasting

Decorating By karateka Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 10:14pm by karateka

karateka Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 37

I got a frantic email from a bride who doesn't have a baker for a wedding that is 12 days away. It is for 50 people and she tells me that she is working 12 hr night shifts up until 2 nights before the wedding, and she wants me to package up some tasting cake for her fiance to pick up and bring to her.

I tell her I don't do tastings for less than 120 servings. Now she's upset
with me, asking how is she going to taste the cake before buying it?

Now I'm working nights starting tonight, too. I am so booked for this weekend I can't see straight. But I tell her I'd make a small cake for $15, prepaid if she wants. I have a feeling that will be a problem too.

I guess I'm just whining, but seriously. Why does everyone think they are owed a tasting? If you are spending 3-4 hundred dollars, maybe.

36 replies
minicuppie Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 37

I blame it on all the wedding themed reality shows. If just ONE of the planners would say something like "I always recommend a tasting for a cake over 100 servings" maybe people would start to get a clue.

Enchantedcakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:55pm
post #3 of 37

I get requests all the time for tastings for small orders so I now have a $25.00 fee for tastings when the order is for less than 75 servings. If they want to go somewhere else be my guest. I have found that brides are waiting to order their cakes until the last minute lately and then wanting tons of customer service. You give me only one month to plan your cake have a tasting and get your contract finalized I will not be bending over backwards to meet your schedule you will be meeting me on my terms or you will be finding another place to order your cake.

KASCARLETT Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 37

She is wanting a tasting for a wedding that is less than 2 weeks away? Is she nuts? lol She's just NOW looking for a wedding cake? Talk about last minute...

Bunsen Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 37

I like how she thinks she still has the luxury of picking and choosing with only 12 days to go! I would be booked out because she is going to be a pain!!

karateka Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen

I like how she thinks she still has the luxury of picking and choosing with only 12 days to go! I would be booked out because she is going to be a pain!!

Thank you. My point exactly.

cakesbycathy Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 37

If she's upset about that, how upset is she going to be when she finds out she has to pay the full amount plus a rush fee in CASH like tomorrow if she wants you to make her cake.

Seriously, cut her loose.

jadak Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 37

I can see wanting to taste a cake before I order 50 servings of it for my wedding. HOWEVER, I can also see having all of that (tasting and ordering) taken care of WWWWWAAAAAYYYYYY before 12 days before my wedding or taking what I could get on such short notice. I think I had my wedding cake ordered before I had a hall or church booked! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 37

I charge $20 for my tastings, and then take that off the final payment IF the cake is over 100 servings! If it's less than that, the price stands!

She oughta be glad you're even entertaining the idea of making the wedding cake this close to the date!

all4cake Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 37

Even if her cake was for 200 servings, if she contacted me with 12 days to go from the event, she wouldn't be getting a tasting, a consultation...I'd be like, "tell me what you think you want." and "This is what I'm able to do. Would you like to place the order?" Her day or not...12 days from the event for 50 is like a party cake...no consultations, no tastings, just place the order and leave me be.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:05pm
post #11 of 37

She ought to be glad she got someone willing to do a wedding cake (no matter what number of servings) for her in this part of Ohio. Most home bakers and bakeries (not grocery store ones) around here need much more of a notice especially during June.

I would cut her loose and make her go to Walmart to get her cake. She probably will be a PITA bride after you make the cake.

No tastings here for orders under 100 servings for me either. They'll have to order cupcakes or a small cake from me too.

KSMill Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 37

I agree with others here that say cut her loose! icon_rolleyes.gif Seriously - 12 days before her wedding and she's worried about tasting? I guess first I'd have to know if she had another baker flake out on her, but if it's her lack of planning...her emergency (lack of planning) is not your problem.

Montrealconfections Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:23pm
post #13 of 37

She needs you more than you need her (you mentioned you are already very booked) doing this cake will just add stress to your life so if you agree to do it it should be on your terms. She obviously isn't that concerned about the cake booking it only a few weeks before the date, stick to your policy of no tasting under 100 servings.

1234me Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:57pm
post #14 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealconfections

She needs you more than you need her (you mentioned you are already very booked) doing this cake will just add stress to your life so if you agree to do it it should be on your terms. She obviously isn't that concerned about the cake booking it only a few weeks before the date, stick to your policy of no tasting under 100 servings.

My feelings exactly! She needs you more than you need her business so she should be more flexible and work on YOUR schedule!

BTW, I state on my website that tastings are not offered on orders feeding less than 100 people.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:10pm
post #15 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealconfections

I totally agree! Sounds like she'd be the type to nitpick every little detail or not have time to give any input but then complain about it after the fact. These are the type of orders that can kill your love for caking. At least for a day or two!

moralna Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:23pm
post #16 of 37

Karateka - I completely sympathize with your frustration, but the question here is not why do people think they are owed a tasting but why after you told her you don't do tastings for less than 120 servings you are going to go ahead and let her bully you into feeling bad with her temper trantrum and make her a small tasting cake - especially when you are so booked yourself. Is her time more valuable then yours that you can bend to her will? Why do that to yourself - especially with a bride who now - 12 days before her wedding - thinks she can demand. You are a talented cake artist - just like an earlier post mentioned - she needs you more than you need her.

Kitagrl Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:25pm
post #17 of 37

Hello! She's lucky to GET a cake by this time, she shouldn't even be worried about the taste by now. She should have worried about that months ago.

costumeczar Posted 26 May 2010 , 7:47pm
post #18 of 37

She's nuts.

karateka Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:01pm
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

Karateka - I completely sympathize with your frustration, but the question here is not why do people think they are owed a tasting but why after you told her you don't do tastings for less than 120 servings you are going to go ahead and let her bully you into feeling bad with her temper trantrum and make her a small tasting cake - especially when you are so booked yourself. Is her time more valuable then yours that you can bend to her will? Why do that to yourself - especially with a bride who now - 12 days before her wedding - thinks she can demand. You are a talented cake artist - just like an earlier post mentioned - she needs you more than you need her.

Oh, don't misunderstand....I don't feel bad. I told her she could BUY a small cake from me. Although when the HELL I'm going to get that done is beyond my capacity.

I'm more frustrated and annoyed than feeling bad. I really try to accommodate people and have a hard time booking weddings. Now I have one I think I'm sure to get because I'm free and she really needs me (at least that's what she said...) and I'm still dealing with crap. If I was this desperate I'd be falling all over myself to accommodate the baker!

I haven't heard back from her. And I'm not going to chase her. I might email her back tomorrow and remind her that I need to know if she wants to use me by Friday at the latest. After that....she's twisting in the wind. I so do not have time for this sort of crapola.

linstead Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:02pm
post #20 of 37

I would kindly recommend the grocery store down the road for her to go...........btw what happens if you give a cake to taste and she doesn't like it??? Now she has like a week to find a cake!!!

moralna Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:51pm
post #21 of 37

Karateka - but this is what I am saying. . . you are contradicting yourself - you say you will sell her a cake, but you don't know when you will have time to get it done - so you are kind of falling all over yourself to accomodate this bride. Then you say you are not going to chase her and then in the next sentence say that you are going to e-mail her one more time to see if she wants to use you. I apologize if I seem to be rude - that is not my intent. It's just that too many times here on this website I read these posts from these great cake folks like yourself who turn themselves inside out for a client who doesn't deserve their kind of expertise or dedication and then they wonder what is wrong with the client, but my question when reading these posts is what's wrong with these cake artists that allow these clients to behave this way.

costumeczar Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:56pm
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralna

Karateka - but this is what I am saying. . . you are contradicting yourself - you say you will sell her a cake, but you don't know when you will have time to get it done - so you are kind of falling all over yourself to accomodate this bride. Then you say you are not going to chase her and then in the next sentence say that you are going to e-mail her one more time to see if she wants to use you. I apologize if I seem to be rude - that is not my intent. It's just that too many times here on this website I read these posts from these great cake folks like yourself who turn themselves inside out for a client who doesn't deserve their kind of expertise or dedication and then they wonder what is wrong with the client, but my question when reading these posts is what's wrong with these cake artists that allow these clients to behave this way.

I have to agree...Don't chase this wench, she's going to be more trouble than she's worth! You already told her that she can buy a cake from you for a sample, so you don't need to contact her again. If she wants the cake she'll get in touch with you. If she doesn't then she won't. If she waits and calls you next week just tell her you can't accomodate her because she waited too long!

sari66 Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:22pm
post #23 of 37

Don't email her, don't make her a tasting cake. If you don't have time then how are you going to do it? She waited till too late to order a cake her issue not yours.

indydebi Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Even if her cake was for 200 servings, if she contacted me with 12 days to go from the event, she wouldn't be getting a tasting, a consultation...I'd be like, "tell me what you think you want." and "This is what I'm able to do. Would you like to place the order?" Her day or not...12 days from the event for 50 is like a party cake...no consultations, no tastings, just place the order and leave me be.

Absolutely!!

"Poor planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on my part."

karateka Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:14am
post #25 of 37

I was only going to email her to make sure she didn't show up on my doorstop 2 days prior to the wedding with a full payment and then pitch an unholy fit when I told her she waited too long. Then she'd be badmouthing me around, even though it is her stupid fault.

However...I acknowledge that you are correct. I should just tell her she waited too long.

I can see into the future icon_lol.gif I was only trying to prevent a problem.

The reason I told her she could buy a cake from me is because she asked "Is there no way to taste your cake before I buy it?" I meant that as a "the ONLY POSSIBLE way is..." sorta thing, not "I'd be SO GLAD to kill myself making you a tasting cake when you are this close to your wedding".

I don't know for sure how she has no baker. She started off the inquiry with "I find myself without a baker" so maybe someone cancelled on her? Who knows.

all4cake Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:24am
post #26 of 37

If I had some trimmin's, I might throw some her way.

I wonder what would she do if she didn't like it? just curious... "I don't like it. Can you make it for half price?" LOL (I don't know this...I was just thinking out loud). Or, not like it but order it anyway, and KNOWINGLY serve her guests cake she didn't like (not saying your cake will be bad...just saying...what is the point of her tasting it now...I'm slow...just coming around to other posters' comments)

Edit Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:25am
post #27 of 37

She may have been a pain to the other baker??? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

karateka Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:39am
post #28 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edit

She may have been a pain to the other baker??? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Now there's a thought. icon_lol.gif

Karen421 Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #29 of 37

That was exactly what I thought! Don't stress yourself out - be honest with her and tell her you are toooooo busy and have a nice wedding!

marthajo1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:37am
post #30 of 37

Maybe she was planning on doing it herself like some magazines suggest as a way of saving money..... UGH!

Maybe a relative was doing it and flaked on her....

But no matter what..... How does she think she has time to taste????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%