"successful Stacking" & Covering Board With Fo

Decorating By susgene Updated 27 May 2010 , 2:36am by susgene

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:04am
post #1 of 7

Ok - First time using Sharon's "Successful Stacking" method... love the DVD...

I'm using a square piece of plywood board for the base. When/How would I cover the board with fondant? I'm assuming I wouldn't cover the board and then attach the tape to the dried fondant? Right?

Or do I make the cake and then put the fondant on the four sides of the board?

This sounds like a silly question... just couldn't seem to figure it out...

THANKS!!

6 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 7

if u have to use tape... I would suggest putting the fondant all the four sides rather than the whole cake drum

hth

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 7

Use BC instead of tape

susgene Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your replies.

Guess I don't need to use tape... I was just trying to do exactly what Sharon does in her DVD to make sure this wedding cake arrives at the site in perfect condition.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 May 2010 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 7

I always put the fondant on my boards after the cake is done because if I do it before hand I always mess it up decorating the cake. So I would tape the base cake down, ice, deco then do the board last .... 4 pieces of fondant and miter the corner seams like here:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1119613

HTH

and no offense to anyone else's methods, because my motto is do what works for you... but I would not trust BC only to hold a tiered cake in place on the base board. That is why I use duck tape .

my humble 2 cents. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 7

I also agree that one shoud do "what works for them" BUT susgene, I would do what Sharon suggest. After all, reputation speaks volumes. She made the DVD for goodness sake icon_eek.gif . If she says use tape, I'd use tape. icon_wink.gif

When you're getting advise "straight from the horses mouth" you should heed THAT advise.
If I'm ever confused on conflicting opinions I check the photos of the one giving the advise to see if they have experience with the issue I'm needing advise on. Apparently Sharon has covered a board with fondant and also has made several large cakes. I just looked at her photos and I guarantee that she knows what she's talking about. thumbs_up.gif

susgene Posted 27 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #7 of 7

Thanks Sharon! I was hoping you'd show up!

That's what I thought I'd need to do... just wasn't sure. I'm tired of learning lessons the hard way icon_wink.gif

Mamawrobin - You're exactly right!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%