Sweaty Gumpaste!!!

Decorating By noahsmummy Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm by halfbloodprincess

noahsmummy Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:07am
post #1 of 9

grrrrrrrrrr icon_mad.gif

i am getting so cranky! does anyone know why n earth my gumpaste is getting so yuck? i have used both the wilton recipe and mmf with cmc added, and everytime i use it, after a day it sewats and gets very sticky. O cant handle the figures (ie move to cake) without bits falling off! grrrrrrrr.

its the midle of winter here too, so humidity is not a problem (no haters in this power conscious house..lol)

ANY help or explanatiion would beVERY much appreciated! thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
noahsmummy Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:35am
post #2 of 9

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1687245

couldnt get the thing to work to upload a pic, but here is one of my sweaty figures in all his glory. =(

halfbloodprincess Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #3 of 9

Were they refrigerated at some point? That would make it sweat.

I've only used pre-made gumpaste and never had any problems with it sweating

noahsmummy Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:03am
post #4 of 9

no never refridgerated, i learnt that the hard way.. my first figures i actually tried to freeze to get them to set.. lol.

halfbloodprincess Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

no never refridgerated, i learnt that the hard way.. my first figures i actually tried to freeze to get them to set.. lol.




Freezer? oh that's funny! lol.......my only suggestion is to switch to commercially made fondant or gumpaste. Or try adding more cornstarch/powdered sugar while you're working with it?

noahsmummy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 2:16am
post #6 of 9

lol i know iwas in a pnic that they wont working, os i thought.. ill freeze them!1 haha obviously made the situation much much worse. oh well, we live and learn! haha

yeahh, comercial fondant is hard to come by here and i always roll out with icing sugar. must have something to do with the air here or something...

4realLaLa Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:57am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1687245

couldnt get the thing to work to upload a pic, but here is one of my sweaty figures in all his glory. =(




It still looks amazing, wet... but amazing. icon_biggrin.gif

noahsmummy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:35am
post #8 of 9

haha thankyou, hes going to be a "surfer" so i his case, i can make his "sweat" work for him. lol

halfbloodprincess Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

lol i know iwas in a pnic that they wont working, os i thought.. ill freeze them!1 haha obviously made the situation much much worse. oh well, we live and learn! haha

yeahh, comercial fondant is hard to come by here and i always roll out with icing sugar. must have something to do with the air here or something...




I hadn't thought of that, fortunately I live in a place that isn't humid at all....but if you're in a locale that has a fair amount of humidity, it will make them weep.

Maybe the best way is to order it online? The only place I can easily find Fondant/Gumpaste outside of commercial baking shops, is Walmart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%