How Do I Do A Textured Cake??

Decorating By ellerchick Updated 1 Jun 2010 , 1:06am by Cenell

ellerchick Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:59am
post #1 of 10

I'm trying to make a wedding cake with this texture, any ideas on the best way to do it??!?![/img]

9 replies
EvMarie Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:05am
post #2 of 10

I'm not a whizzzzz at cakes...but it looks to me like they took an offset spatula and made vertical strokes with it. I use a small one that's about 4 inches long & that popped into my head when I saw the pic you posted.

Maybe frost like normal....then start in one spot and work your way around. Not sure if this is the right thing...or if it matters if the buttercream crusts first? Maybe a buttercream queen could lend better advice.

Just a thought... icon_smile.gif

mbark Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:09am
post #3 of 10

I agree with EvMarie. looks pretty easy actually.

mommicakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:17am
post #5 of 10

I have to agree w/ previous posts.

I did a smaller cake and I just used my offset spatula and did single strokes upwards and it came out like that. Kinda simple, but very attractive.

sweetcakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:47am
post #6 of 10

put on an extra thick coat of buttercream, then take a spatula and using the rounded end, angle it in and pull upwards, go all around the cake and then you will need to pull in across the top of the cake to round off the top edge.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:58am
post #7 of 10

You can also use the "hot teaspoon" method -- same as the hot knife method but using the back of a teaspoon and drag upward to create this design.

EvMarie Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:59am
post #8 of 10

Ahhhh, sweetcakes...that's a good point. You'd have to clean up the excess icing pulled up over the top. I didn't think of that.

I think I'd make sure the spatula was clean each time too. I could see it getting gunked up. The cake is very pretty. But, very simple. I may try this for my next cake give away! I'm a cookie lady, so not much occassion to make a tiered cake.

ellerchick Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:00am
post #9 of 10

thank you everyone, great ideas!!!

Cenell Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 1:06am
post #10 of 10

You can use a a bowl scraper for that and clean it every time yoe make the design. I made a cake long time ago similar to that one and works perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%