How Do I Get A Clean Cake Underneath?

Decorating By azizak Updated 27 May 2010 , 12:09am by ptanyer

azizak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azizak Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:49am
post #1 of 4

Ok this probably sounds weird. I can't figure out how to keep the bottom of the cake clean....I have the problem when I transport a cake, at times the cake will shift a bit was the bottom kinda gets messy. And when I stack the cakes, the bottom of the second tier gets the buttercream on the bottom tier. I know I can just wipe it off but I was wondering if there was any other trick.
Possibly wrapping the fondant under? It drives me crazy that on the cake shows it appears to be a clean process and no crumbs anywhere!

Thanks!

3 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:44am
post #2 of 4

For the bottom tier you can put shelf liner (kinda rubbery "net" like sheet) piece between your cake board and cake stand (or covered cake board) so it doesn't slip....the border on your bottome tier will help it not slip as well if you are using buttercream as trim. For between the other layers you could sprinkle the area the next tier sits on with powdered sugar, I hear that works. My buttercream crusts up so I haven't really had that problem. I have used this trick tho when working with fondant and it does work. HTH. Cat

ps. by the time you are dismantling the cake no one really will see what condition the cake is between the tiers.

azizak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azizak Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks. I will try the liner. It drives me crazy when I get the fondant perfect and the cake shift.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:09am
post #4 of 4

If you use the SPS (Separator Plate System) your cake tiers won't shift.

I place each tier on a small fondant bucket that I keep heavy stuff in and and use a damp cloth to clean up the bottom of the cake board (I usually don't have much to clean up, but I check it every time.) I also use the non-skid rubber matting under each tier when I am decorating it. I even put it in the bottom of the cake boxes when I deliver the cakes, and I have given pieces of the matting to customers to set the cake boxes on so that they won't have any slipping while transporting the cakes. It's a small price to make to try and ensure a safe delivery.

HTH's
Pam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%