Help With Led Headlights & Light Bar

Decorating By LisaR64 Updated 27 May 2010 , 1:42am by Occther

LisaR64 Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #1 of 8

I'm working on a Fire truck cake, and I'm planning to use LED lights as working headlights, but I'm not sure what to make the "glass" part of the headlight out of.

Also, I would like to use the LED's to light up a light bar on top of the fire truck, but again, I'm not sure what to use for the light bar itself. It needs to be something see-through enough that the lights show up. any ideas?

7 replies
LisaR64 Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:00am
post #2 of 8

Occther Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:32am
post #3 of 8

Isomalt or cooked sugar??

LisaR64 Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 8

I do have ISOmalt, but wasn't really sure how to form it into the right shape, and also wasn't sure how long it holds up once it's made?

marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 8

just watched an episode of cake boss and he took apart an actual toy firetruck and used the lights from that.....

I know that doesn't really answer the question you asked.... lol..... sorry.... icon_biggrin.gif I don't have any other ideas though!

Occther Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 8

When I wanted to make a pill bottle out of sugar, I purchased butterscotch hard candies, made my own mold out of "Amazing Mold Putty," melted the candies in the micro and poured into the mold. Look around the house and see if you have something that resembles the shape that you desire, make a mold and the pour in hot isomalt. Or cheat like me, and look for a hard candy with the color that you want.

marthajo1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #7 of 8

hmmm.... so maybe if you can melt red jolly ranchers?

Occther Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:42am
post #8 of 8

Sure - give it a try. I figure if it didn't work - I could eat the rest. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%