Does Anybody Know...

Decorating By awatterson Updated 28 May 2010 , 10:22pm by awatterson

awatterson Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:18am
post #1 of 9

what the "best" way to put fondant on just the sides of a cake is? I did a house cake last week and it was DREADFUL because I didn't put it on right. I have to do another cake this week that requires fondant on just the sides. Last time I misted the cake with a little bit of water and this time I am thinking that I will cover the sides of the cake with piping gel so that it might stick better. Any ideas? Thank you.

8 replies
dreamcakesmom Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:37am
post #2 of 9

I recently did a humidor cake in which I wanted box like sides with nice crisp edges. I first rolled my fondant and cut approximate squares a teeny bit bigger than my sides. I laid them on flat parchment lined boards and froze them. Next I iced my cake as I usually do and applied the frozen boards to the sides. I went back with an exacto and trimmed the sides and oila nice edges.

prterrell Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 9

Do you not have icing on the cake? You don't need anything other than the icing to stick the fondant to the cake.

awatterson Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:01am
post #4 of 9

I do have icing on the side, but since it is so heavy it doesn't want to just stick to the side. I don't have a problem when I put fondant on the entire cake.

Thanks for the suggestion onceuponadreamcakes. Freezing sounds like a good idea to make it a little bit stiffer.

Occther Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:30am
post #5 of 9

You can also roll it thinner and then let air dry for a while before applying it. If it is on a round cake and you need it curved, use a cake dummy of the same side. Set it on its side and let the fondant dry to give it the curve you need.

awatterson Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:02am
post #6 of 9

Occther, great ideas. I really like the one of letting it dry on a dummy cake. Unfortunately I have to cut part of the round part off (I am making a bag). I will keep that in mind for my future cakes. Thank you so much for your ideas.

awatterson Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 9

I ended up rolling it thinner, letting it dry for about 5 hours before putting it on and then I froze it for about 10 minutes. It worked pretty well. Thanks for all of the help.

robyndmy Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 9

If my buttercream crusts too fast before I get the fondant on, I'll just sprinkle on a few drops of water on the buttercream to help the fondant adhere. With all the other tips though, I think you'll be all set. icon_smile.gif

awatterson Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 9

I did try the piping gel. I took the cake apart 2 times. I got up at 4 this morning to finish the cake because it was due this morning. I took it apart this morning and finished it and the buttercream held it without the piping gel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%