Please Help - How Many Roses Does It Take?

Decorating By nielsen4897 Updated 26 May 2010 , 4:21pm by nielsen4897

nielsen4897 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nielsen4897 Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:14am
post #1 of 7

Hi all -
Let's say I am baking a 4-stacked wedding cake and I want to do the roses drapping down one side from top to bottom. How many roses should I make - I need an estimate!

Thanks

6 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:49am
post #2 of 7

Depends on if they are gathered up on top as well. The last one I did took 75 1.5 inch roses. I am getting ready to do a 3 tier square cake that I estimate will take up to 100 plumerias...thats because they are covering the top of the top tier as well as "puddled" at the bottom of the cake on the cake drum. If you are making them either make larger roses or understand that you will be making about 6-10 per hour...that's a lot of hours...make sure you are getting paid for it.

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:12am
post #3 of 7

Depends also on the size of your rose. I have two cakes in my photos that are 3 tiered with rose cascades. The buttercream one took about 35 2" roses. That included the top tier. The other cake took around 27-30. I made the roses bigger, about 2.5-3" each, and the cascade is much fuller. They had a topper though. I'd always make a few more, and also some buds to fill in.

They are time consuming, but pretty quick to assemble the cake once finished. And I like the fact that you can do them well in advance.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:16am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsen4897

Hi all -
Let's say I am baking a 4-stacked wedding cake and I want to do the roses drapping down one side from top to bottom. How many roses should I make - I need an estimate!

Thanks

Gumpaste or buttercream? If gumpaste on wires, you'll be able to get by with fewer because they can be spaced apart somewhat. If buttercream, you'll probably use more because they'll need to be stacked upon one another while building the cascade up from the bottom.

nielsen4897 Posted 26 May 2010 , 12:47pm
post #5 of 7

they're buttercream. Thanks for the tip on going bottom to top when placing the roses - I was going to do it the other way!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsen4897

Hi all -

Thanks

My guestimate for a 4-tier cake... plan on making at least 40 roses (7-15 per tier, depending on the tier size--you'll probably use 7 on a 6" and 15 or more for a large tier including more on the base, so 10 per tier average). If you're also covering the top tier, you'll need another 15... so make at least 55 if that's the case. Make extra if you're in the mood, and if you don't use them all you can save your air-dried roses for another cake later. Have fun!

nielsen4897 Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 7

thanks everyone! I already had ~100 made and wasn't sure if more was needed. Now I know I am good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%